starting strength gym

Thread: Using a HR monitor for Prowler work - setup

Default Using a HR monitor for Prowler work - setup

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I picked up a prowler awhile back and recently got a Polar H10 HR monitor chest strap. I'd like to start using my HR for intervals, ala "Death By Prowler" article (push until 180HR then rest until it drops to a threshold then repeat).

Only using an iPhone and this HR. I've tinkered with both the Polar Beats and Flow apps and still can't seem to figure the easiest way to see/accomplish this. I don't want to track anything other than the above...lots of superfluous stuff.

Anybody got this setup or recommend how best to incorporate everything?

(My patience for technology is getting shorter the older I get)

I’ve got the exact same question except I’m using a Fitbit Charge 2. Would seem to be a popular application of the HRM.

So I’ve been tinkering this a little. Polar Beats works okay (maybe there is a better 3rd party app). I get the impression there seems to be a time lag between actual HR and displayed HR (or maybe by perception is way off OR my cardio just sucks). I could get up to about 150HR pushing 140# but it took a LONG time for it to display on my phone.

Not super impressed with this technique to far.

don't those polar bands also transmit to their wristwatch still?
    when I (ran) / I mean sprinted, I saw immediate feedback on the watch,
    that, and there was always a slight lag, but just seconds, and that might have been physiological,
    your heart still ramps up a little after you collapse.

I used Polars for a few decades. I now use a Fitbit Charge 2. Both seemed to provide real time display of HR. I too once eschewed the prowler given the trauma two a day high school football sessions with the blocking sled inflicted on me. But then I tried one and it worked well after I overcame my reluctance to revisit my youth and unpleasant memories of coach Perucca yelling in my helmet earhole.

starting strength coach development program
    I have a Charge 2 as well. It seems to be kind of sensitive to exactly where it sits on your wrist and how tight the band is. When I first used it while pushing a sled, the graph of my heart rate was relatively flat, not reflecting reality at all. After fiddling a bit with position and tightness, the graph showed distinct sinusoidal behavior, clearly showing the rise and fall of my heart rate while pushing and resting.