starting strength gym

Thread: SSLP after 3y in the gym

Default SSLP after 3y in the gym

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone,
    that's my problem: I've been "working out" at the gym for something like 3 years following randomic programs made by obviously un-experienced but over-paid trainers that, as I realised later on, didn't know much about strength training. So, after 3 years of unstructured mesocycles of 5x5, 3x3 and other random numbers with some interspersed bodybuilding stuff in it, I reached the following PRs (Height 1,81 m, weight 185 lb):
    Deadlift: 405 lb
    BP: 240 lb
    OHP: 135 lb
    Squat: 285 lb
    after reading the books, I understood that I've sort of wasted 4y of training and I decided to follow an intermediate-level program based on RPE, since I thought that after years of training (even if suboptimal) a linear progression would not have been the best option for me. Again, I think I made a mistake, and maybe I should consider SSLP. Do you think that even after 3y of training I would still benefit from SSLP? Is it worth trying?

I would let say most definitely, though you may find the need to transition to intermediate sooner. I'd start with a slight deload - especially if you are doing tripples now. Program the lifts exactly like the book says, though you should already be deadlifting every other day and probably microloading presses and +5 on squats and deads.

Only other thing I'd look at doing, and may take a further drop on weight, is bringing your form in line with the models outlined in the blue book. If anything, I suspect other trainers may have you squatting high bar, and the prescribed squat here is low bar.

Get what you can out of it, even if it's just 4 weeks of LP beyond your current 5 rep maxes, and then transition to Texas method or HLM after reviewing practical programming.

You can run a short LP almost anytime in your training career to find a baseline to start a transition into something more intermediate. Run the LP with a moderate caloric surplus, hit some PR's and have fun.

Do a linear progression first, make progress as fast as possible, then switch when you need to - probably pretty quick for deadlifts and bench, but you can probably get a few weeks out of the squat, especially if that’s a 1RM.

I’m not a fan of RPE, personally. See how you go leaving it out first. If you’re really sold on it, you could always log descriptive (not prescriptive) RPEs now and throw it in later.

Thank you for replying so quickly guys, your advices are precious to me!
    Yea, I was actually talking about 1RMs and again, yea, you got it right: I've been High-bar squatting for a long period, and I introduced a proper low-bar squat only few months ago, after reading the books. So I probably should have used a linear progression when I changed technique, I think we all agree. I'll try the linear progressiom with the smart changes you suggested and I'll let you know how it will be. Thanks again!
    P.s. after introducing the new RPE based programs, I also introduced a couple of days of GPP (with some cardio, pull ups, core stability and arm work). Since I'm really enjoing this, I would like to keep it. Is there a way to put some gpp in the sslp program without interfering with the main lifts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacopo View Post
    Thank you for replying so quickly guys, your advices are precious to me!
    Yea, I was actually talking about 1RMs and again, yea, you got it right: I've been High-bar squatting for a long period, and I introduced a proper low-bar squat only few months ago, after reading the books. So I probably should have used a linear progression when I changed technique, I think we all agree. I'll try the linear progressiom with the smart changes you suggested and I'll let you know how it will be. Thanks again!
    P.s. after introducing the new RPE based programs, I also introduced a couple of days of GPP (with some cardio, pull ups, core stability and arm work). Since I'm really enjoing this, I would like to keep it. Is there a way to put some gpp in the sslp program without interfering with the main lifts?
    Chin ups are already part of LP (instead of pullups because it recruits more muscle mass). Pull ups also will fulfill arm work, but if you want lifts specifically for arms, go ahead and add barbell curls on Fridays (assuming m/w/f cycle), not needed though. Additional GPP would make your LP suboptimal, but if you want it I'd at least wait til late LP when you introduce your light Wednesday and do some HIIT on Tuesday or Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoran View Post
    Chin ups are already part of LP (instead of pullups because it recruits more muscle mass). Pull ups also will fulfill arm work, but if you want lifts specifically for arms, go ahead and add barbell curls on Fridays (assuming m/w/f cycle), not needed though. Additional GPP would make your LP suboptimal, but if you want it I'd at least wait til late LP when you introduce your light Wednesday and do some HIIT on Tuesday or Wednesday
    Okz, thanks. So steady state cardio would be contraindicated even in late LP, am I getting it correctly? Cuz I think I'll have to begin the LP from the late part of it, being the deadlift significantly heavier than squats. I'll try a late LP (with DL every other day, chin ups etc) with a HIIT on wednesday and some curls on friday. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacopo View Post
    You're doing just about everything possible to not do the program. I appreciate your tenacity.

I would think if you really want to take the NLP for all its worth you would do it as prescribed. I would say the end is brutal. Grinding out new PR's every workout gets intense.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You're doing just about everything possible to not do the program. I appreciate your tenacity.
    Being blasted by Rip in person is definitely one of the highest moments of my life.
    I'll do the program purely, without added bullshit.
    Thank you all!