starting strength gym

Thread: Completely De-Conditioned and De-Trained; What Program to Do?

Default Completely De-Conditioned and De-Trained; What Program to Do?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Everyone,

Because I have been working so much and the air in my Chinese city is so bad, I have not been able to train for three years. I notice I am so deconditioned, I am probably 5'8", 200 lbs, 30% bodyfat, and am gasping even when running to an elevator.

I am even a little embarrassed, because I used to be in such great shape, under 10% bodyfat, etc.

The good news is that I am moving cities soon. Then, I can get a 24 hour gym close to home, and start working out once or even twice a day, with all the equipment.

1. What program should I do to get back in shape?

2. My guess is the following:

a. Starting Strength 5 * 5 with the big barbell lifts (to put on strength and mass)
    b. Extra hypertrophy exercises (10-15 rep supersets, machines, etc.)
    c. Mike Whitfield's Bodyweight Finishers (as they are a good way to trim down and tone up, without losing muscle mass the way traditional cardio does)
    d. Ten 5-10-5 Shuttle Runs (as they are the best way to get your cardiovascular conditioning up)

3. A standard, moderate diet.

My guess is:

2000 Calories a Day
    Pre Workout Protein Powder + Small Serving of Starch
    Post Workout large serving of Whey Protein + Large Serving of Starch
    Vegetables and Meat for the next four eating times in the day

4. Is this a good plan? If not, correct me where I need to be corrected.

1. Starting Strength NLP as outlined in both books (Starting Strength and Practical Programming)
    2. Starting Strength....which is not 5x5
    3. Plenty of calories, 2000 is likely not going to be enough. Plenty of protein for protein synthesis and recovery. Plenty of carbs for glycogen stores/energy/recovery.
    4. In addition to 1-3, try to get a full night's sleep if you aren't. Check out the Barbell Logic podcast.

According to his post history he bought both Starting Strength and Practical Programming in 2010. I don't think he's read either of them yet.

NLP is the default program after a layoff or starting from scratch. 2,000 calories makes me sad.