starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Guy Expectations

Default Old Guy Expectations

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have been following the programming found in "The Barbell Prescription" by Sullivan and Baker for the past year and making consistent progress using High Volume Rep Progression as found on page 230 Example 22-2 using a 2 on 1 off schedule. Over the next three or so years I would like to reach the follow goals:

Dead Lift 400 (current 280)
    Squat 350 (current 240)
    Bench 250 (current 200)

I will be 67 later this year, weigh in at 220 and in excellent health. Assuming I avoid injuries and stay consistent with training are these goals realistic or am should I scale back.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Hi John, not a coach, but very similar in demographics to yours. First, it depends where you're starting. Second, anticipate a couple of injuries and/or life crises along the way. Third, assuming you're at 75-80% of your targets now, hell yes! Stay consistent, eat a lot, sleep a lot, gain some weight, and you'll get there!

Your goals seem realistic to me. I started lifting at your age, and now at 70, I am at 360 squat and 405 dead lift for doubles. I am not benching anymore because of a recurring shoulder injury. I never got that above 210.

I seem to do best on fairly low rep stuff. 3-4 heavy sets a week for lower body. A bit more for upper body.

Anyway, just keep at it. Get out there at least twice a week and lift and have a plan. I find that alternating periods of maintenance and advance works for me with short term goals, but I am not saying that's the only way to do it.

They do not look like unreasonable goals. I started at your age and at 70 i'm about at 360 squat and 405 dead. I'm not benching, do to a recurring shoulder injury. Just get out there and lift consistently and good things will happen.

Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement... especially from a fellow Texan.

Hey Bill, thank you for sharing your numbers. Knowing that you had about the same starting point it is very encouraging.

Height and weight might be useful in determining how realistic your goals are. There are several sites out there that will show you graduated benchmarks for strength for the 5 lifts with 10 year increments and the standard lifting weight classes. Kilgore's site (IMO) is particularly realistic and tracks closely with master's powerlifting 1st, 2nd, and 3rd placers.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTurner View Post
    I have been following the programming found in "The Barbell Prescription" by Sullivan and Baker for the past year and making consistent progress using High Volume Rep Progression as found on page 230 Example 22-2 using a 2 on 1 off schedule. Over the next three or so years I would like to reach the follow goals:

Dead Lift 400 (current 280)
    Squat 350 (current 240)
    Bench 250 (current 200)

I will be 67 later this year, weigh in at 220 and in excellent health. Assuming I avoid injuries and stay consistent with training are these goals realistic or am should I scale back.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
    Another question, with the above goals in mind should I be including the overhead press or is it taking valuable training and recovery time from the other three lifts?

Thanks!

Mark E. Hurling, Thanks for the tip. I just downloaded the PDFs for each of the lifts. So, according to the charts I need to either... gain 100 lbs in body weight or loose ten years of aging... LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTurner View Post
    Another question, with the above goals in mind should I be including the overhead press or is it taking valuable training and recovery time from the other three lifts?

Thanks!
    I would press too. It is a useful lift in its own right, and will help drive your bench press. If you are competing, you might want to focus on one or the other, depending on which you do in competition. If you bench and press heavy in the same session, you might notice some “interference,” which is why most people alternate or separate them in programming.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    I would press too. It is a useful lift in its own right, and will help drive your bench press. If you are competing, you might want to focus on one or the other, depending on which you do in competition. If you bench and press heavy in the same session, you might notice some “interference,” which is why most people alternate or separate them in programming.
    I had the same question. In the end, I decided to bench 3 times per week (volume, light, intensity) and add 3 sets of pressing on the light day.

Although the press may not be a competition lift, it serves a valuable function and is "relatively" easy to recover from. If I later find that I am not ready for my intensity day, I intend to reduce or eliminate the bench press during my light day and keep the press. If I wasn't entering powerlifting competitions, I would just follow the program as designed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast