starting strength gym

Thread: Programming around a huge change in work load

Default Programming around a huge change in work load

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Background:
    I’m a 66 year old lifter, training consistently for the past 6 years. My current 3x work sets are: SQ 285, BP245, DL385, PR170. Besides lifting, I spend most of the week behind a desk or engaging in moderate activity like walking my dog. The moderate activity part will soon change.
    Details:
    I’m starting a 6-week project to build a 20x25’ timber frame pavilion, an extended version of this: 20x20 King Post with Shed Roof Plan - Timber Frame HQ. This will involve moving 70 pieces of wet, fresh sawed cypress timbers ranging from 150 to 400lbs, sometimes like this YouTube, then sawing the ends with a chainsaw, fine-cutting mortises and tenons, assembling and standing up 1,500lb “bents” (that’s timber framer talk for wall sections) and pegging them together to form the building (ref. movie “Witness”). This translates to say 5 hours on my feet, lifting, moving, dragging, etc. on Saturdays and Sundays, plus a couple of 2 hour night sessions during the week. To summarize, a huge increase in physical workload and fatigue.
    Question:
    I expect to dial back lifting to accommodate. Thinking 20% and doing 3x5’s so I can maintain (?) strength and form, 2 lifts per night 3 days/week. I expect to need more food but still lose weight (now 242).
    Would love to hear your thoughts about programming under these circumstances.

(Re-posting this to Programming Modifications due to lack of traction, however, I don't think it is an age-related topic)