starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there anything magical about complete rest days?

Default Is there anything magical about complete rest days?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    45 years old. Intermediate squatter, but starting over on a LP with everything else due to not being able to do much over the past 6 months due to shoulder surgery. Fortunately I was able to resume squatting relatively quickly using a yoke bar so I didn’t lose too much there.

Due to a sedentary job and not tons of extracurricular physical activity, I am really drawn towards 5 or even 6 shorter workouts a week vs just MFW.

Is there anything wrong with continuing my HLM squats MWF, deadlifts on Friday, and alternating bench and press plus some chins on Tue/Thu/Sat, vs squeezing the pressing and chins into the MWF workouts?

If I did the latter I feel like I would still have to squeeze in some light running/cycling/cardio Tue/Thu/Sat to get my “exercise” fix in. I know that sounds lame, but there are real benefits, mentally, and at least for me, doing some form of “exercise” almost every day, and 3 days a week just isn’t enough.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by dsiomtw View Post
    Is there anything wrong with continuing my HLM squats MWF, deadlifts on Friday, and alternating bench and press plus some chins on Tue/Thu/Sat, vs squeezing the pressing and chins into the MWF workouts?
    !
    I have been doing it this way for several years. I can attest you can make progress on it, but I don't think it's optimal. I understand that the particular stress phenomena that occurs by training all the lifts on one day as per the program is more efficient.

That said I bet you would benefit by running the Novice Linear Program for 12~ weeks just to build a base and get a gauge where you are at, gradually adding in some beach work on off days and see how you react. I'm assuming gaining strength is your main concern as you are posting on a strength board.

Curious to see what other coaches say.

Thanks for the reply. To be clear, I did SS, then TM, then 5/3/1, HLM, etc. and was at an intermediate level on all lifts 6 months ago. But then I had shoulder surgery, so I'm basically starting over on all lifts except the squat, which I was able to maintain with the use of a yoke bar (I was able to resume squatting about 1 month after the surgery). So yes I'm going to be "starting over" and doing LP on all the other lifts since I've detrained significantly after not being able to do any of those lifts for ~6 months.

I don't mind squeezing all the lifts into 3 days a week, but that leaves me with 2-3 more days where I need to do something active/physical and not sure what that should be. I am toying with the idea of doing press/bench/chins Tue/Thu/Sat as I said, but seeing if anyone can talk me out of it because that's a horrible idea...

Rest days where you don't do any training helps the CNS recover.

The CNS "recover"? Tell us about this mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by dsiomtw View Post
    Thanks for the reply. To be clear, I did SS, then TM, then 5/3/1, HLM, etc. and was at an intermediate level on all lifts 6 months ago. But then I had shoulder surgery, so I'm basically starting over on all lifts except the squat, which I was able to maintain with the use of a yoke bar (I was able to resume squatting about 1 month after the surgery). So yes I'm going to be "starting over" and doing LP on all the other lifts since I've detrained significantly after not being able to do any of those lifts for ~6 months.

I don't mind squeezing all the lifts into 3 days a week, but that leaves me with 2-3 more days where I need to do something active/physical and not sure what that should be. I am toying with the idea of doing press/bench/chins Tue/Thu/Sat as I said, but seeing if anyone can talk me out of it because that's a horrible idea...
    Sounds sensible to me, and not necessarily a horrible idea for your goals. Adding some pressing and chins on off days won't send you to the infirmary. Hopefully there is some more discourse around it here, otherwise give it a shot and report back your findings?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The CNS "recover"? Tell us about this mechanism.
    No mechanism. Referring the the recovery of the central nervous system. Sorry if the abbreviation was misleading. That being said, never claimed it was particularly necessary. Not even that it's applicable to OP's programming. Just one potential answer to the question in the title.

"Magical"? No...unless you REALLY need a rest day, which is somewhat unlikely.

The only place "CNS Fatigue" exists is on the internet. It's like an 18" cock or a 59" SVJ. YOU are tired. Your CNS is merely tired with you.

starting strength coach development program
    For my own part...I kind of do whatever I want on my rest days...kettlebell, rucking, cardio, assistance exercises, etc. Even sometimes complete rest.
    But I know at some point it will interfere with my linear progression. It hasn't yet. But when it does, I will make an adjustment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast