starting strength gym

Thread: Getting back to it, where to start.

Default Getting back to it, where to start.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Male, 5' 10" 38yrs old, 192lb 38.5waist

So basically I ran an LP several months ago for around 12weeks. Took my numbers from - to,

Squat 100kg 3x5 - 130 x 3
    Deadlift 120kg 1x5 - 165kg 2x3
    Press 40kg 3x5 - 60kg 1x1
    Bench 75kg 3x5 - 105kg 1x1

I messed around on LP for way to long, running it then re-running it over and over. Anyway, I purchased the GGW program and things were going well until I decided to cut some weight mid way through due to my waist being 40.5" at 200lb. I have cut down to 192lb with 38.5" waist but my strength has dipped big time. 40kg Press felt extremely heavy just the other night.

How do I get things moving again and where do I start? Do I need another LP or just bump my calories/carbs back up and just hit an intermediate program like GGW again. Help!

Ive decided that my goal is to build the strength up alot, (get my deadlift up to 405lb atleast) infact, I would love to squat 405lb but i need to get 315lb first. Any help would be appreciated here. Thanks!

Looks like there was a lot of room for improvement on your first LP. Just run it again, without the messing around.

I think it's confusing what you are asking or where you are coming from.

Did you run only 12 weeks of NLP, and during that 12 weeks you were messing around or have you messed around multiple times in maybe 12 week intervals each? How long ago did you start GGW and when did you end? How quickly did you cut 2" and 8 lbs? When is the last time you lifted in a programmed model? Are you looking for someone to provide a program? If someone did, would you adhere to it or more "messing around"? Are you willing to eat and put on weight to get to that 405lb squat?

If I were in your shoes with your goals, I'd start with my diet and get it to a caloric surplus (nothing crazy, but maybe 250-300 calories over to start). I'd then look at my last weights I successfully did and do SSNLP with a deload appropriate to changes in sets/reps and duration since I last lifted those weights. This may be a relatively small deload, or more drastic if it's been a while or my top sets are singles and I'm going back to 3x5.

At that point I'd drive the weight up as quickly as I can doing NLP, keeping up with form. I wouldn't drop any of the lifts to less than sets of 5 during the NLP. I might some point switch to a top set and 2 backoff sets on squats, and a light mid-week day (80% last normal day) for squats, but that's pretty much it.

As I exhausted that, I'd move to an HLM program, or if you are up for it, TM. I'd keep it pretty basic and avoid assistance lifts the first time through. After that, I might add assistance lifts to help drive the main lifts, keeping in mind that the main lifts can't take a back seat to assistance, and I'm limited on time.

So that's what I'd do, keeping in mind the need to eat enough to drive growth, adherence to the program, and adding weight every time you are supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Tate1981 View Post
    Male, 5' 10" 38yrs old, 192lb 38.5waist

So basically I ran an LP several months ago for around 12weeks. Took my numbers from - to,

Squat 100kg 3x5 - 130 x 3
    Deadlift 120kg 1x5 - 165kg 2x3
    Press 40kg 3x5 - 60kg 1x1
    Bench 75kg 3x5 - 105kg 1x1

I messed around on LP for way to long, running it then re-running it over and over. Anyway, I purchased the GGW program and things were going well until I decided to cut some weight mid way through due to my waist being 40.5" at 200lb. I have cut down to 192lb with 38.5" waist but my strength has dipped big time. 40kg Press felt extremely heavy just the other night.

How do I get things moving again and where do I start? Do I need another LP or just bump my calories/carbs back up and just hit an intermediate program like GGW again. Help!

Ive decided that my goal is to build the strength up alot, (get my deadlift up to 405lb atleast) infact, I would love to squat 405lb but i need to get 315lb first. Any help would be appreciated here. Thanks!
    What were your numbers on the GGW program before you got stuck?

Sorry for the confusion. So, yeah, basically I ran LP time and time again in the past, then I gave this last 12week period one last shot before moving onto Andy's GGW. The 2" 8lb weight loss came over 7 weeks at a caloric intake of 2,400 per day and a cheat day on a Saturday.

I used my numbers at the end of LP as a conservative start point for the GGW program.

Squat 130kg 1rm
    Deadlift 160kg 1rm
    Press 62kg 1rm
    Bench 105kg 1rm

Due to the cut I gained no strength, just maintained. No gain or loss in strength. I thought id maybe be able to eek out a small PR on the lifts from reading various things such as "you can gain strength while losing weight". Ive learned the hard way here. I need to just focus on getting strong first and deal with bodyfat later.