starting strength gym

Thread: End of LP?

Default End of LP?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’ve done about 21 weeks of LP (with some resets in there). I am 5'10", 35 years old, and 204lb (started off at 185lb), no prior experience with barbell training:

* Squat started 175x5. Currently struggling to get above 275 for 5x3. Previously lowered reps and was able to get 290x3 reps. Then reset and getting stuck around 280. I’m a little dissappointed to not get over 300lb for my 5x3s, but I think it’s time for intermediate programming. Form is ok, still learning to get my butt back enough and lean over enough.

* Press started around 85x5 and is currently around 122.5x5 or 125x3. Progress has been difficult.

* Bench started at 135x5 and is currently at 190x4 or 192.5x3. Progress has been difficult.

* Deadlift started around 185x5 and is currently at 325x5. DL progress has been a grind since 275lb. I have some issues with back rounding on reps 3-5. Working on form (with some help from the technique forum), but not sure how to program this in the future.

Rip’s 3 Q’s:

1. Rest Between Sets: I set a timer and always rest at least 5 minutes between squat sets and at least 4 minutes pressing movements.
    2. Weight Increases: for several months now I have been making 5lb jumps on squat and deadlift and 2.5 lb jumps on pressing movements.
    3. Eating & Sleeping: I have been tracking my food carefully for a few months now eating 3000-3500 calories per day, including at least 215 grams of protein per day. Going from 185-204lb, my waist has gone from 35-37”. Not too bad, but putting on a little fat. I don’t really want my waist to go up any more. I have also been taking creatine for the past month. Sleep is challenging due to life stuff (married, 5 kids, work...etc). I'm able to get a consistent 5-6 hours of sleep on week nights and around 7 on weekends. I'm trying to improve this but it has been tough.

I’m slightly disappointed with my numbers, but I think I should go ahead and switch to Texas Method. First, do you agree, or do I need to push LP for a little longer? Second, is it ok to switch right to a 4-day split of TM? I workout early in the morning before work and I’m worried I won’t have enough time for volume work on Monday’s.

Thanks for your time!

1. This may not be enough time. It's probably not enough time. Try longer rests.
    2. 2.5 pounds on presses is too big if you're getting stuck. Get the appropriate plates.
    3. Add 150 grams of carbs to this and see what happens.

These numbers are not typical of the end of an LP for a guy your size and age.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Doyle View Post
    I’m slightly disappointed with my numbers, but I think I should go ahead and switch to Texas Method. First, do you agree, or do I need to push LP for a little longer? Second, is it ok to switch right to a 4-day split of TM? I workout early in the morning before work and I’m worried I won’t have enough time for volume work on Monday’s.

Thanks for your time!
    My two cents, as a guy roughly your age with similar circumstances I tried the true 3 day TM and it beat the everloving shit out of me. Definitely split it into 4 days in my opinion, or look into the "Split Routine" section of the PPST (and get the book if you don't have it already).

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Are you running pure LP or are you on an advanced novice template with a rest day? I wouldn't be surprised if you could no longer run LP three days a week given your numbers. I would be surprised if you could no longer run LP two days a week at those numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Doyle View Post
    I workout early in the morning before work
    This might have something to do with it. Is there any way you can try evenings? in my experience early mornings are bad for strength workouts. Cardio, swimming and running works great in the morning but not lifting. I've got stuck when I tried the mornings unless it's like 11am a few hours after breakfast.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by Toadthewetsprocket View Post
    This might have something to do with it. Is there any way you can try evenings? in my experience early mornings are bad for strength workouts. Cardio, swimming and running works great in the morning but not lifting. I've got stuck when I tried the mornings unless it's like 11am a few hours after breakfast.
    My guess is the five kids has something to do with it...I only have one and I’ve found evening sessions damn near impossible to get consistently between that and my job. Sure, it means I’m firing at 85% or so, but it’s better than 0.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    1. This may not be enough time. It's probably not enough time. Try longer rests.
    2. 2.5 pounds on presses is too big if you're getting stuck. Get the appropriate plates.
    3. Add 150 grams of carbs to this and see what happens.

These numbers are not typical of the end of an LP for a guy your size and age.
    Thanks Rip. I'll stay the course with LP for now. I'll up the carbs and rest between sets and see if that helps. I purchased a set of fractional plates and have started 1.5lb jumps on pressing movements. I assume I should stick to 5lb jumps on squat though right?

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    Are you running pure LP or are you on an advanced novice template with a rest day? I wouldn't be surprised if you could no longer run LP three days a week given your numbers. I would be surprised if you could no longer run LP two days a week at those numbers.
    I have been doing my best to follow an advanced novice template. I squat 3 days a week (M,W,F) with a light day on Wednesday, and deadlift once a week. This has been messed up a few times lately with going out of town and missing a workout, but I've been fairly consistent.

Working out early in the morning is challenging, but it's the least disruptive to my time with the wife and kids. I always drink a protein shake (with creatine) and eat a banana about 10 minutes before working out in the morning. Early in LP I tried lifting in the morning completely fasted, and that didn't go well. I just felt worn out.