starting strength gym

Thread: training philosophy for weak legs compared to upper body?

Default training philosophy for weak legs compared to upper body?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm just over 40 and feel my eyes are finally open to proper training after reading Rip's books (like he says, I didn't really read them, but I'm trying).

A combination of small bone structure, too much office work, lack of any consistent strength plan since I was 16 and upper body biased genetics have left my squat weak and also behind my upper body lifts. I'm too old to have pride, I got chicken legs.

None of this has prevented me from being active. I've done half marathons, spartan's, crossfit, and am reasonably fit in general, just weak.

I started squatting seriously 3 years ago, I never did before that. When I started I could bench more than I could squat and I was a novice at both. Fast forward to now and doing SS for a month my squat at 195 is ahead of my bench (170) but still lagging % wise.

Outside of ego I really don't care how much I press or bench, I'd much rather have a big squat because strong legs and core are much more important for my general lifestyle and outside activities. In a cruel twist of fate, I can put weight on my bench and press without undue effort. IF I would have dedicated as much time to benching in the last 3 years as I did squatting I"d be benching 225. Squat gains are much harder for me (both in effort and results).

Q: Will minimizing intensity on upper body lifts while continuing the squat progression help me recover faster and improve more on my squat until it "catches up"? Or just go ba!!$ out and see where I end up?

24-Jun
    Squat 190
    Deadlift 235
    Power Clean (reps of 3 x 5 sets) 145
    Press 110
    Bench 165

Height/bodyweight?

I see no reason why you’d need to artificially reduce your focus on the upper body lifts at this time. At this stage I think you can drive up all your lifts pretty uniformly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Height/bodyweight?
    5'10, from 172lbs to 180 on SS so far (some fat some muscle).

I had been doing crossfit / random programming before starting so I had an idea where to start. I got tired of random and like the idea of SS.

Started May 22, had a couple off days and a week on a cruise ship (where I lifted and ate a ton but didn't count it towards SS).

I use the app (thanks by the way) and have not missed a lift yet though I am at a challenging level.

May 22
    Squat: 160
    Press: 95
    Bench: 155
    Deadlift: 190
    Power Clean: 135

I think I have identified the source of your problems: Got strong and big, now what?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think I have identified the source of your problems: Got strong and big, now what?
    Thanks Rip, I concur and appreciate your feedback, not much else to say because there it is.