starting strength gym

Thread: Quick question on increments.

Default Quick question on increments.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In the Starting Strength book, it's stated that on average an adult man (34 years old here myself, 6'2" with weight somewhere in the 220s) can maintain 5 pound increases on the bench and overhead presses for "perhaps three to four weeks". I seem to have hit the end of these 5 pound jumps at about 2 weeks. I've gone over things like "The First Three Questions" addressing early training snags, and all I'm coming up with as a possible solution is to go down to the 2.5 pound increases. Is it time to get real and admit those magical 5 pound jumps are gone for good, or is being unable to sustain these for lengths the book mentions indicative of some other problem?

It is normal to drop to smaller jumps. It may be normal for this to happen for you before you'd like this to happen. Get the correct plates.

Thanks. Already got them, actually, in anticipation of this. Sorry for the double post, by the way. My browser navigated away from the page that says posts are reviewed before going up too fast for me to read.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    In the Starting Strength book, it's stated that on average an adult man (34 years old here myself, 6'2" with weight somewhere in the 220s) can maintain 5 pound increases on the bench and overhead presses for "perhaps three to four weeks". I seem to have hit the end of these 5 pound jumps at about 2 weeks. I've gone over things like "The First Three Questions" addressing early training snags, and all I'm coming up with as a possible solution is to go down to the 2.5 pound increases. Is it time to get real and admit those magical 5 pound jumps are gone for good, or is being unable to sustain these for lengths the book mentions indicative of some other problem?
    Can you point to where it says this? I'm not doubting you, I want to read it. Thanks!

Page 304, second paragraph on the right hand side. Unless you've got an older version of the book, in which case I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Page 304, second paragraph on the right hand side. Unless you've got an older version of the book, in which case I have no idea.
    I found it. Thank you!

Well...persons of identical strength can begin the program at different weights.
    You may have started closer to your limitations than others.

starting strength coach development program
    Or they might have chosen a starting weight that was ~20+ pounds heavier than it needed to be.