starting strength gym

Thread: Garage Gym Warrior and the Power Clean

Default Garage Gym Warrior and the Power Clean

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi

I am just about to start the Garage Gym Warrior (GGW) program that I bought from Andy Baker's website. Seem to be a good fit for me as I transition to intermediate. I have a thought related to power cleans. Also, related to this is a few questions concerning the row.

1. In the template as written by Andy Baker it is explicitly stated that it is fine to use power cleans as a light deadlift day substitute. I would like to do this since, while it took me sometime to feel like I had the technique down to acceptable standards, I am now enjoying the lift and I am still doing progress in my LP. Since I added it quite late into my LP I am only at 67,5 kg, (slightly under 150 lbs) but working my way up. I am planning to alternate it with rows in the GGW so every other time I power clean and the other time I row. Now, there are no prescribed sets/reps in the GGW template if I wish to use power cleans instead of rows (which is the suggested light deadlift move). Would it be ok to treat it like in LP, or is that to demanding being a light lift? In other words, I would continue with 5x3 adding 2.5 kg (5 lbs) each time.

2. As for rows, it is just specified that I should use a weight that I can handle in terms of technique. I have not used rows in my LP. In the template Andy has specified reps and sets as per the weight I can handle with good form. I would like to add weight to the bar here over time. Would it be fine to try and progress them in the GGW using LP? Or would that be too taxing as well?

Also, if there are good reasons to simply skip the clean here, I am all ears as well.

Birkovic

1) I don't have the template so can't say for sure, but power cleans is by nature light so I would just use LP set x reps, especially if you are still learning them. What are you deadlift currently at?

2) Same answer for rows as well. If you are new to them you can pretty easily LP them for a while without them being too demanding.

You might want to read this article from Baker. Programming Assistance Work - Andy Baker

I have run GGW, great program.

1. I didn't do cleans, so can't help you there.

2. On the rows, I increased each time. The rep# decreases over each block of 3 weeks, so you should increase the weight for sure. Looking back at my log, for example, I did 130, 140, 150 in weeks 1-3, then 135, 145, 155 in weeks 4-6, then 140, 150, 160 in weeks 7-9. You get the idea.

In general, I think it is a good idea to try to progress on assistance work, whether it's rows, curls, LTE, whatever. That's how we get stronger, right?

Thanks a lot for the input. I went ahead and started this Monday and did my first row session yesterday. I decided to do pretty much what you advice here. Also got some good pointers from reddit. I will try with alternating PC and rows on light deadlift day, see where it gets me. I am exited about this though. Feels nice to move on. LP has been really demanding over the last couple of weeks, primarily because of me not really being able to recover from the squats. As for my deadlift I was at 145 kg (320 lbs) last week. Together with PC its a lift that I still progress linearly from. The other ones have stalled. Hopefully I am not progressing to intermediate to early, but honestly, it also feels good to switch things up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Birkovic View Post
    Thanks a lot for the input. I went ahead and started this Monday and did my first row session yesterday. I decided to do pretty much what you advice here. Also got some good pointers from reddit. I will try with alternating PC and rows on light deadlift day, see where it gets me. I am exited about this though. Feels nice to move on. LP has been really demanding over the last couple of weeks, primarily because of me not really being able to recover from the squats. As for my deadlift I was at 145 kg (320 lbs) last week. Together with PC its a lift that I still progress linearly from. The other ones have stalled. Hopefully I am not progressing to intermediate to early, but honestly, it also feels good to switch things up a bit.
    I probably went to intermediate "too early" in that I probably left some LP gains on the table. I am 48, started lifting about 18 months ago, and am not naturally athletic, so I was feeling pretty beat up at the time I decided to stop LP. I did GGW, did another program from a non-SS source, did GGW again, then did Andy Baker's 5x5. This last one was probably my favorite so far. I have seen steady gains (as measured by testing 1RM at the end of each program), so am happy. Could I be lifting more or moving up faster if I had run out LP longer, and would an online coach improve my form and lead to quicker gains? Probably, but I am not stalled or getting hurt, so I will keep moving ahead until it's not working in some way.

At the end of LP I was having a lot of back tweaks, and kept resetting my DL and squat because of them. Since my first run at GGW, I have not tweaked my back, and have consistently moved ahead in the big lifts. I am near my highest bodyweight ever but my waistline has decreased, and I feel stronger and healthier than I can remember. I plan to keep at it. Very grateful to have found Rip, SS, and all the associated coaches and content (including some of the associated but un-affiliated people and content too!).

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Birkovic View Post
    I had the same question regarding using power cleans as a replacement for medium day deadlifts. I'm interested to see how this works out for you, good luck!