starting strength gym

Thread: HLM deadlift failure

Default HLM deadlift failure

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

I have been running a version of HLM for the last 8 weeks and made weekly progress on all lifts... so far so good. But I have begun to fail on my deadlift. My program has been HLM as written in the online version I found, with one modification for DL on Fridays medium day.
    Heavy Monday 1x5,
    Wednesday row 4x8-12,
    Friday 1x1 (15-20kg above Monday as I found 1x1 with a small jump was not preparing me for the 5kg jump 1X5 the following Monday).

I have done assistance work on the days that I have had energy and time but not every session. Try to do chins every session at the end unless I’m completely fried. 3-4 sets of 5-6.

My proposal is to move my deadlift to a 2 week block, but keeping all other major lifts in the 1 week progression,

H1-1x5,
    L1-Row, 3x 8-12
    M1- paused 3x5,
    H2- rack pull 2x6,
    L2-row, 3x8-12
    M2-deficit 3x3

My question is, has anyone had success from anything similar after failing? Is the increase in volume and variation perceived a good or bad thing for progressing the 1x5? Or should I just go back down in weight and ramp it up again?

Current lifts if it helps with where I am in the novice/early intermediate scale.
    S - 140 kg 3x5
    B - 95kg 3x5
    P - 60 kg 3x5
    DL 165 kg 1x5, 182.5 1x1

Thanks in advance.

You probably need more volume on your medium day say 3 sets x 5 reps @90% of heavy day and do 3x5 @80% of heavy for light day instead of rows...

Minimum Effective Dose for Maximum Strength, Part 2 | Matt Reynolds

No, he probably need to read this:

A Clarification | Mark Rippetoe

and this:

The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

Right, I missed the 5kg jump part...

Friday 1x1 (15-20kg above Monday as I found 1x1 with a small jump was not preparing me for the 5kg jump 1X5 the following Monday).