starting strength gym

Thread: Programming for triple digit heat

Default Programming for triple digit heat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everyone,

I’ve read the articles regarding training in the heat. They are full of useful information but I’m curious as to specific alterations to programming like reps, sets and rest periods.

I train in my garage in Houston. It’s almost always hot but recently it has been downright miserable. It was 113 inside my garage at 7:30 pm yesterday. It’s making me feel sick after 2 sets. I’m looking for any useful advise from individuals or coaches that deal with the same issues.

Thanks!

Put a window AC unit in it
    No window then cut a hole in the wall and frame it in

Turn it on an hour before you train

That what I did in the same situation

No way I’m doing anything in a room that hot lol

I have something like this on my patio, it works great. It would soak the inside of your garage though. Maybe put it in some shade outside and take rests there.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P18B2JO..._un0vDbQ8TPQ8C

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Rip,

I’ve made suggested changes to my programming from information provided in that specific article. I’ve cut out all “accessory” movements and I’ve increased my rest time by an additional 2-3 minutes. I’ve done that since March.

I work outside in the heat for at least 2-4 hours everyday. Some days it’s an all day affair. Those days are the worst for training. I’m so tired of being hot already, by the time I step into the 110-115 degree garage, I wanna throw up.

I noticed the Bill Starr article mentions vitamin and mineral supplementation and that’s something I’ve never tried. At least, not specifically during a training session. I currently take vitamin C, D and Cod Liver oil every morning. That’s the extent of my supplements. Can you recommend any additional vitamins or minerals that you think would help?

As far as Air Conditioning goes, I use a 36” floor fan on high and suck it up. It’s a 3 car garage and it’s not insulated and only has ridge vents for air circulation. I feel like a window unit would be chasing its tail. I’m avoiding the mister unit fans due to the extensive amount of humidity that is already present. “Air you can wear.”

starting strength coach development program
    Get a bucket, fill with ice water, periodically dunk your head in it. Grab some ice and rub it on your arms and chest.