starting strength gym

Thread: Intermediate programming

Default Intermediate programming

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

I am writing to any coach who might guide me on this transition.
    Weight: 174
    Height: 5`4

Lifts April> in lbs
    Squat 160
    B Press 140
    O Press 75
    DL 135
    PC 75

Last week>
    Squat 256
    B Press 170
    O Press 103
    DL 280
    PC 130

My last 2 weeks have been somewhat crappy. For squats I had switch to the light squat mid week and it works out but can only do 2 pounds increase and intensity feels bizarre. Thankfully I have not failed it, but felt like I was going to, getting stuck mid way up but finally pushing through.

DL was going strong up to 190 then I had to repeat that weight and was good up until 225. Lift went up then stuck at 275. I repeated it and conquer, but then 280 same thing happened. I repeated it and only got 4 reps. Switched to pulling every other workout, and after a week was able to do the 280 (was brutal). But now at 285 and was shock that I could only lift it once. Clean has been similar between 125 and 135, with the 135 only able to do 3 sets correctly and the last two sets just suck.

Presses OHP reset twice. Seems like Bench press fatigue seeps into it. My bench keeps going up, but OHP keeps getting stuck at same weight after the 2nd reset.

Not sure if fatigue from squat is seeping into pulls (DL & PC), same with OHP and BP. Not sure if this are signs to different programming.

Now, assuming that different programming is the next step. I am looking to get strong and also look good. With the former being more important, but not that far off. I got the PPFST and after reading all the way to Intermediate, I find the general HLM for older people and physique to be more on my ally. But the template uses no Deadlifts. Wondering if I can just replace the barbell Row in there for an actual Deadlift, if so; it sounds like it would be the regular 1x5.

Any advice is appreciated in advance.

Thanks!

Please clarify what template you are referencing that "uses no Deadlifts."

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Please clarify what template you are referencing that "uses no Deadlifts."
    It is in the Starr Model section. My kindle cloud reader does not show page number, but it says is on location 4817. It reads as follows (see attachment):

Monday:
    Squats 5x5
    BP 4x5
    BR 4x8

Wednesday:
    Squats 3x5
    Press 4x5

Friday:
    Squats 3x5
    Incline Press 4x5
    Chins/Pull Ups 3-5x5-8

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Something is wrong with the Kindle display. I'll put it in the queue to fix.

Deadlift is on Wed, 1 set of 5.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Something is wrong with the Kindle display. I'll put it in the queue to fix.

Deadlift is on Wed, 1 set of 5.
    Thanks for the information, that clarifies a lot about the template. I will wait for any advice regarding my question. Another thing I forgot to mention for whichever coach answers me, is that the reduce in frequency scenario does not seem to fit well within my schedule at this time. I am referring to the end of the LP where you can do M-TR-Su and start over in W-S-T.

starting strength coach development program
    Not a coach but I think you're reffering to the advanced novice taper. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it's 100% necessary just a way to prolong the novice LP as the SRA curve lengthens. You could probably just switch to early intermediate programming HLM at that point so you don't have to worry about the scheduling issue.