starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strength training for rowers

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    In the rower's case I think the same argument is applied to a less extreme case: the upper body is used in the rowing stroke, but only in a certain way. Since during the stroke it only pulls and doesn't push, the rower doesn't care about making those muscles stronger which contribute to a push, so there's no point in doing the bench press. He should just train the pulling movements so he gets stronger at pulling the oar towards him. Unlike the cyclist, he cares about the strength of the upper body, but only part of the upper body.

What do the triceps do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What do the triceps do?
    Shoulder extension, which is obviously part of the rowing stroke and therefore an important thing to mention in the approach I take to presenting the programme to the club. I think you've prompted a bit of a lightbulb moment in terms of how I need to piece this together - looks like I need to brush up on my anatomy. Thanks Mark.

I always have been confused when I talk to Olympic level rowers and they are impressed with a 315lb squat for reps and a 250lb clean. They always fall back on their trust in their strength and conditioning coaches as the reason they do what they do. I met one of their S&C coaches by chance and had a half hour conversation with him. It explained everything; He was a salesman and a product of the university sports science education system.

Many of these guys/girls are terrific athletes. They should respond very well to a proper training program. The one question I would have is on DL frequency and intensity at the advanced novice stage and beyond. Rowers are putting a large amount of repetitive stress on their lower backs on an almost daily basis. I am guessing they may not be able to recover from heavy DLs as well as other athletes; the cumulative stress and fatigue from rowing in addition to heavy DLs may be too great for them to recover from under normal programming. It may be appropriate to lower the frequency and progress more slowly with the weight increases?

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    The one question I would have is on DL frequency and intensity at the advanced novice stage and beyond. Rowers are putting a large amount of repetitive stress on their lower backs on an almost daily basis. I am guessing they may not be able to recover from heavy DLs as well as other athletes; the cumulative stress and fatigue from rowing in addition to heavy DLs may be too great for them to recover from under normal programming. It may be appropriate to lower the frequency and progress more slowly with the weight increases?
    It would be more appropriate to get their deadlifts strong enough -- maybe up to just 315? -- that repetitive stresses are much more submaximal, and can thus be recovered from more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It would be more appropriate to get their deadlifts strong enough -- maybe up to just 315? -- that repetitive stresses are much more submaximal, and can thus be recovered from more easily.
    The guys I know would fly past 315 on a novice LP. I don't think it would start becoming an issue until around 365lbs for 5 reps. Not sure where the girls might get to.

Hi, how is this going? As a recreational rower I'm curious about it

starting strength coach development program
    I'm also curious about this because of the fact that I don't know many men that aren't interested in improving their bench / press. I almost couldn't believe it when I read it. They need to stop being so prissy. Who doesn't want a stronger, bigger and better looking chest and shoulders/triceps/everything. Good post to read and some good responses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12