starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight loss after NLP

Default Weight loss after NLP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey, thank you in advance for your time. I've used Google and didnt find anything specifically related to my issue.

So I believe I'm reaching the end of my NLP.

I'm a ~270lbs 6'6" Male at 26 years old.
    My lift prs for the program are:
    Squat: 275
    Dl: 315
    Press: 150
    Bp: 215

Everything is getting harder and harder. To the point that it feels impossible. I've been eating at maintenance through the program. (Already fat. To an unhealthy level). And I've been resting a ton between sets(9 or so minutes). Sleeping great.

Am I ready to move on? And if so, what would be good for maintaining strength while losing weight? I really need to trim down. Thanks again!

These numbers don't indicate the end of the NLP for a 26-year-old man. Rather, they suggest you "modified" the program in some way.

HOW at 6 '6" and 270 you need to lose weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Velazquez View Post
    HOW at 6 '6" and 270 you need to lose weight?
    Because he is deadlifting 315 at 270.

Speaking of which, OP, can you share more about your programming and how you arrived at the current numbers?

What would you like to know specifically? I started out as a fat schlub of 350. Completely untrained. Started losing weight mostly by accident because of a new more active job. Shrunk down to around 275 and my fellow fat friend invited me to the gym with him. I did some research. Bought the book. He bailed.

But I liked it. Read through the advice in the book. The big 3 questions. Number 1 involved eating enough. I already had high blood pressure and was prediabetic. Both related to weight. I had been sitting on my ass all day for years with next to no physical activity.

So I couldnt exactly get on board with eating a surplus. But maintaining my weight at 275-ish while I tried to get stronger seemed ok.

I did the program(minus the calorie surplus). 3 sets of 5 adding 5 pounds etc. Progress for me was slower. I was ignorant and struggled with form (and I had hurt my back a few years ago, was afraid of re-injuring myself). But I figured things out gradually. Became less retarded. But not much. And less of a pussy.

But yea. Long and the short tl;dr I did starting strength program minus caloric surplus and stunted by my own ignorance.

I find that guys in your situation (novices in need of weight loss) do better by keeping carbohydrates at a reasonable level (~300 g) with fats much lower. This drives weight loss while preserving muscle glycogen.

So you're recommending that I eat at a deficit? How should I change my programming to reflect this change in diet? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by petchvery View Post
    So you're recommending that I eat at a deficit? How should I change my programming to reflect this change in diet? Thank you.
    How many calories a day are you consuming if you do the math below?
    Protein: 4 calories/gram
    Carbs: 4 calories/gram
    Fat: 9 calories/gram

Assuming your protein is where it needs to be, lower your fats, up the carbs (300g), and you should
    start leaning out.

Carbs take more volume in your stomach which will more adequately satiate you. They also will help fill your
    muscles with glycogen and help you perform in the gym better. Yay energy!

eg: an apple is 90ish calories and a tablespoon of oil is 120 calories; which one is more filling?

I'm not sure how much you should cut per day, but 500 calories tends to be the rule of thumb.

Also...watch the booze. ;-)
    Hope this helps!

Hey. Thank you For the advice. To maintain weight I was eating around 3600 calories a day. My macros were as follows (I was tracking with my fitness pal)
    Carbs: 450
    Fat: 90
    Protein: 250.

And my diet was fairly clean. I held myself to eating the same thing every day.

No junk. Just a lot of chicken and a lot of rice and broccoli. I meal prepped everything so I would be consistent. This kept me between 270-275. Fluctuating slightly.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by petchvery View Post
    Hey. Thank you For the advice. To maintain weight I was eating around 3600 calories a day. My macros were as follows (I was tracking with my fitness pal)
    Carbs: 450
    Fat: 90
    Protein: 250.

And my diet was fairly clean. I held myself to eating the same thing every day.

No junk. Just a lot of chicken and a lot of rice and broccoli. I meal prepped everything so I would be consistent. This kept me between 270-275. Fluctuating slightly.
    Has your waist size gone down? if your waist size is going down, but you're weight is staying the same, I'd keep your macros as-is.
    You're going to need to divorce yourself from what the scale says because you may very well be simultaneously burning fat and packing on muscle weight (which weighs more
    than fat).

I don't think your lifting is getting hard because of diet necessarily, I think it's getting hard because you're at that point where it's getting heavy.

The muscle you've packed on thus far in the LP isn't going to be enough to get you the aesthetics you want (given your height obv) should you decide to just quit and lean out. Keep the weight heavy and finish the LP, drop your calories 300-500 ONLY if your waist size isn't going down. There's no reason why you shouldn't be dead-lifting well into the 400s at the end of this LP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast