starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench Loading: Microloading in late intermediate?

Default Bench Loading: Microloading in late intermediate?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach;

I've not been using my fractional plates on bench for awhile now and I'm wondering if I'm cheating myself.

I'm an Intermediate doing a self-programmed Texas Method hybrid. Right now bench is measured at 340x1, 335x2, 325x3, 315x5 (all "recent," by which I mean in the last quarter).
    I've not yet failed an intensity target this cycle on bench.

In that fractional plates now represent <1% load increase, are they even worth unpacking on bench days at this stage? Am I missing out on progress by neglecting them?

Thanks;

Geoff

Add 5lbs until you can't add 5lbs, then micro-load. No requirement to micro load, until you need to micro load. Isn't that obvious ? Is this a real question ?

I'm at a phase of training where I'm rethinking variables, wondering which next minimum dose to apply. In LP, I was using my F-plates basically every workout; they've been sitting so long now that I saw them in my bag the other day and thought, "Oh. I still own those."

I have been known to overthink things. This is likely one of those times.

What you say makes sense; I've not missed any intensity targets for bench this cycle, so I think that serves as an adequate answer to the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    I'm at a phase of training where I'm rethinking variables, wondering which next minimum dose to apply. In LP, I was using my F-plates basically every workout; they've been sitting so long now that I saw them in my bag the other day and thought, "Oh. I still own those."

I have been known to overthink things. This is likely one of those times.

What you say makes sense; I've not missed any intensity targets for bench this cycle, so I think that serves as an adequate answer to the question.
    Keep it simple as long as possible. As long as the numbers on the bar keep going up then it's working-even when it seems to stop, it isn't always necessary to change the program, but can be a chance to learn more about our own limits and how to exceed them.

Microloading could/should be unnecessary to a late stage intermediate within reason. 1-4lb jumps × week could just be traded for a slightly longer cycle (of up to 5 weeks b/c then the smallest micro load would be equal), exposure to new repetition range (with a similar training effect), change of supplemental exercises, or managing the first three better. Grinding out week after week of less than 5lb jumps may be an unnecessary difficulty. It will still produces objective results but is not great economically. Making a 5lb jump every other week is potentially better than microloading every week. Advancing closer and closer to your genetic potential probably requires a greater diversity of training means. However i dont think (in my limited knowledge) that microloading is a longer term strategy with that will yield better results than the other options i stated.

Do you really think that microloading the press is unnecessary?

It's certainly proven to be an absolute necessity for both press and bench in my training.

The strict press i would probably microload if it was your press of choice. However the strict press does not use the most muscle mass, or most weight out of the potential press exercises you could pick. So late intermediates would probably reduce the strict press to a supplemental/accessory movement and opt for a press with a dynamic rack position and laybacks. If the case is its a supplemental/accessory movement then i wouldnt spend the time to microload such an exercise. As far as the bench press being microload thats whatever floats your boat. Im not saying microloading doesnt work. Im saying its kind of beating your face into the pavement to avoid ME dose changes in programming. I can absolutely rally behind objective improvements on a weekly basis, and focusing on intensity to drive adaptation. However i would not advise or partake in microloading the traditional big 3 to drive progress. Especially if you fall out of the juniors and masters demo's and the poster is not a female or on NLP

This is fascinating. You would do things differently. But not really that differently, since I have never suggested that males microload anything except the press and the bench, which I know from decades of experience with my own and several thousand other people's training to benefit from microloading. But you wouldn't do it.

starting strength coach development program
    Rip i can only find two reference to microloading in PPST3 the first is on pg 100 (novice programming considerations for special populations) the second is in chapter 9 (special populations). Have you used microloading on the bench press for males outside of a NLP, or juniors and masters?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast