starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Programming

Default Deadlift Programming

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In January, an SSC told me I was pulling with a rounded back (PR was 330 for 5). I was punished with a 25% deload and instructed to drop weights to 5 lbs a week. I learned my lesson (and the new stomach to thighs cue helped even more).

I just hit 335 for 5 with DOH grip. I've also gained 35 lbs since January to 240. My squat is now 330 and deadlift is relatively easy compared to squat.

Do I stick to 5 lbs increases a week on deadlift or is it appropriate for 10 lbs a week for a few weeks until bar speed starts to slow?

Thanks for the advice!

If you can do 10lb then do so. At some point it will be necessary to drop to 5lb, which will eventually move from being added from each session, to weekly, to fortnightly, to monthly etc

I would learn hook grip or mixed grip if you're still doing DOH. I'd also probably stick with 5 pound jumps unless it's really easy especially since it sounds like you're only deadlifting once a week. Are you adding weight to squats twice a week and what else are you doing for pulling volume?

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn1993 View Post
    I would learn hook grip or mixed grip if you're still doing DOH.
    Why are you suggesting this when he has not mentioned grip problems?

Deadlift Grip Adjustments | Nick Delgadillo He didn't specifically say he has grip issues but his squat weights are closing in on his deadlift weights and he has a history of having trouble maintaining a flat back in the deadlift which according to the article above MAY indicate a grip issue. I was just suggesting he give it a go as he'll need to make the switch eventually but the choice is his and/or a coach to make.