starting strength gym

Thread: Question about when to start deadlift sets across for women in novice linear progress

Default Question about when to start deadlift sets across for women in novice linear progress

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So, on page 296 of SSBBT, it outlines the first two phases of the linear progression (basically, the first four to six weeks). From somewhere around here, we know that deadlifts are for one set of five.

But on page 217 of Practical Programming for Strength Training, it says women can typically do sets across for deadlifts. I'm doing NLP #2 right now after a year of loafing and I missed this instruction about the deadlift.

My questions are:

#1. As a lady, I need to start three sets of five for the deadlifts now, is that right? (I'm just finishing week three of NLP today.) Lord, help me.

#2. Is this what I should've been doing from week one of the NLP?

(And then around six to eight weeks of the NLP, I'll expect to shift to five sets of three, also from page 217 of PPST.)

Thanks!

PS: The second NLP is better now since I know how to do the moves reasonably well.

I'll run female clients on 1x5 for deadlifts in their NLP (in the majority of cases) until it stops working. At that point, you can move it to triples like you would on the other lifts, but instead of 1x3 do 2x3 (as an example).

Hi Andrea,

Ben's suggestion is exactly what my SS coach programmed for me (F, 62): 1 x 5 DLs, switched to 2 x 3. Went from 85# to 215# in four months and attempting 220# tonight. Confident I'll make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Patterson View Post
    I'll run female clients on 1x5 for deadlifts in their NLP (in the majority of cases) until it stops working. At that point, you can move it to triples like you would on the other lifts, but instead of 1x3 do 2x3 (as an example).
    Thanks, Ben, I appreciate your response. I'll keep on doing one set of five and move to two sets of three when the five stops working. Also, what a relief.

Hi BroadDaylight,

Thanks for letting me know how this is working for you and congrats on your #220 PR! I'm in my early forties and looking forward to breaking my former PR (around 198#) in a couple of months (am at 154# at the moment). Now I'll add you to my list of mature ladies who inspire me (same with @abuszard).