starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift help

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Unfortunately I purchased the Ebook, not the hard copy-it's not that easy to navigate.

I'm sure its in there but I'm damned if I can find it. Which chapter ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post

I'm fine with staying over the bar mid foot on the shins. I'm just struggling to straighten the legs once I have the bar a couple of inches off the floor. Once I have the legs straight, then the lock out is pretty easy. It seems to have become a sticking point which is limiting further addition of weight.

I personally like heavy deficit deadlifts if your issue is happening that low in the ROM. I'm still working on the "why they work part" but I have found them to be extremely effective at fixing this issue. That being said, I've also seen lifters make a lot of progress by doing "no bullshit" heavy rack pulls. I think managing heavy weights like that strengthens the low back and transfers to all parts of the ROM as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I personally like heavy deficit deadlifts if your issue is happening that low in the ROM. I'm still working on the "why they work part" but I have found them to be extremely effective at fixing this issue. That being said, I've also seen lifters make a lot of progress by doing "no bullshit" heavy rack pulls. I think managing heavy weights like that strengthens the low back and transfers to all parts of the ROM as well.
    Cheers Robert. It's also throughout the ROM until lock out, it's pretty much a uniform struggle from a a few inches off the floor until the legs are straight. This seems to me that my back is OK, but my legs are weak. It's why I had concluded that I either required increased volume for the entire ROM, or something more specific like rack pulls. I'm going to try rack pulls, although I'm currently wondering if there is a specific % to add, or whether it's just a matter of treating it like any other lift and finding the limits ?

You are welcome. I typically recommend starting with 10-20 lb over your 5RM deadlift and adding to that biweekly until you get to a challenging weight. You will eventually pull your 1RM deadlift for 5 but not right away. There is motor learning that needs to occur first. I learned this the hard way.

You are welcome. I typically recommend starting with 10-20 lb over your 5RM deadlift and adding to that biweekly until you get to a challenging weight. You will eventually pull your 1RM deadlift for 5 but not right away. There is motor learning that needs to occur first. I learned this the hard way.
    That's what I was looking for. Thank you very much. From reading and listening to blogs/podcasts it seemed you worked really hard to get your DL up, so it would be interesting to hear those hard learnings if you have the time.

Greg Nuckels has talked about this before that Rack pulls actually strengthen the pull from the floor and deficits the opposite. Probably something I need to institute at some point because right now im doing a volume week of deadlifts followed by intensity week and it is destroying me albeit I am getting stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    That's what I was looking for. Thank you very much. From reading and listening to blogs/podcasts it seemed you worked really hard to get your DL up, so it would be interesting to hear those hard learnings if you have the time.
    It's not a real big deadlift but it's more than 500 lb and I am less than 200 lb so it may be worth discussing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    Greg Nuckels has talked about this before that Rack pulls actually strengthen the pull from the floor and deficits the opposite. Probably something I need to institute at some point because right now im doing a volume week of deadlifts followed by intensity week and it is destroying me albeit I am getting stronger.
    If you train Deficits heavy you can break anything off the floor.

starting strength coach development program
    If you train Deficits heavy you can break anything off the floor.
    I ditch my lifting shoes for the working set, which might well be the reason I can break the weight off the floor pretty easily as I'm effectively doing a small deficit deadlift on all the warm up weights ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast