starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deadlift help

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    It's not a real big deadlift but it's more than 500 lb and I am less than 200 lb so it may be worth discussing.
    500lbs is a superman lift to me; 400lbs is my next goal for the end of 2020 and that seems like a massive mountain. Any tips and pitfalls on that journey would be very illuminating.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I ditch my lifting shoes for the working set, which might well be the reason I can break the weight off the floor pretty easily as I'm effectively doing a small deficit deadlift on all the warm up weights ?
    No the deficit there is not across the entire foot and it's marginal compared to standing on two 3/4" mats. If you do your work sets off of a deficit then pull the mats out when you are peaking for a meet, everything feels easy to break.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    500lbs is a superman lift to me; 400lbs is my next goal for the end of 2020 and that seems like a massive mountain. Any tips and pitfalls on that journey would be very illuminating.
    1) Don't overtrain your back by squatting or deadlifting too much. By too much I mean too much volume or intensity. I have experience making both of those mistakes. It took life stress to cause me to miss workouts, which then led to PRs during the most stressful time of my life. How? I was more overtrained than I was stressed apparently.

2) Consider both squat and deadlift volume, frequency, and intensity when planning your program. The stress overlaps so if you are squatting too much, the low back will be too tired pull anything heavy.

I'm also happy to take you on as a client if you are in the market for services.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    No the deficit there is not across the entire foot and it's marginal compared to standing on two 3/4" mats. If you do your work sets off of a deficit then pull the mats out when you are peaking for a meet, everything feels easy to break.

1) Don't overtrain your back by squatting or deadlifting too much. By too much I mean too much volume or intensity. I have experience making both of those mistakes. It took life stress to cause me to miss workouts, which then led to PRs during the most stressful time of my life. How? I was more overtrained than I was stressed apparently.

2) Consider both squat and deadlift volume, frequency, and intensity when planning your program. The stress overlaps so if you are squatting too much, the low back will be too tired pull anything heavy.

I'm also happy to take you on as a client if you are in the market for services.
    Thanks Santana. I don't think there is much danger of me over training anything, that's a young mans game. Too little sleep and some minor health issues are more of a concern. A little bit of advice is probably all I need at this stage if that's OK ?

starting strength coach development program
    Yep totally fine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123