Deadlift help Deadlift help

starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Deadlift help

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    766

    Default Deadlift help

    • phoenix arizona seminar date
    • texas seminar date
    I set a PB today of 147.5Kg for a set of 4. The second pull was difficult, but the 4th had my entire body shaking as I dragged the bar from shin to lockout. I'm not sure I'm going to manage a 5th rep at this point, which means I'm in danger of stalling.

    I get the bar off the floor fairly easily and can lock out fine when I get the legs straightened out. I can easily hold the bar in the lock out so no problem with the back, or the grip. It's getting the legs to push that now appears to be limiting me.

    I'm on old mans HLM from BBP which is heavy DL once a week. 3 reps wk1, 4 reps wk2, 5 reps wk3 then increase load by 5lbs. It's been working great so far and got me from 130Kg for a single to where I am currently.

    It seems I might have to either add in a lighter DL day to get some extra volume, or add some heavier rack pulls. Not sure which, or how to program them - tag them onto one of the days, or go to a four day split as I really don't want to add further lifts into the 3 days.

    Advice.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    1,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    or add some heavier rack pulls. or go to a four day split as I really don't want to add further lifts into the 3 days.

    Advice.
    First of all, congratulations on the PR. I think a video of the lift may be of some utility here, but, I kept the part of your post that I think would be the most helpful as you adjust your programming. I don't see how increased light deadlift volume is going to help attain a heavier lockout, but can see how adding rack pulls would do so.

    Also, stalling is not the end of the world. Stalling happens to everyone. You can't become a seasoned lifter without stalling, because nothing will make you integrate training knowledge like wanting to continue moving forward when you have hit a wall.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    First of all, congratulations on the PR. I think a video of the lift may be of some utility here, but, I kept the part of your post that I think would be the most helpful as you adjust your programming. I don't see how increased light deadlift volume is going to help attain a heavier lockout, but can see how adding rack pulls would do so.

    Also, stalling is not the end of the world. Stalling happens to everyone. You can't become a seasoned lifter without stalling, because nothing will make you integrate training knowledge like wanting to continue moving forward when you have hit a wall.
    It would have made an interesting video. Thanks Will.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Likewise, congrats on the PR!

    Which program from BBP exactly? I'm trying to get an idea of what the rest of the program looks like, specially the pulling on the other days.

    Also if you wouldn't mind sharing your...
    -age
    -height
    -weight

    I'm leaning toward more DL volume in the form of a light day or as a back off to the primary work.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    39,673

    Default

    I never lean toward more deadlift volume for a masters lifter, as I have found it to be unproductive unless there is a form error to correct. And then I'd be very careful with it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    If your issues is simply handling heavier weights then working in limit rack pulls every other- or every third week is a good idea. It will get weight in your hands and reinforce staying over the bar, which is important at the initial start of the pull.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Patterson View Post
    Likewise, congrats on the PR!

    Which program from BBP exactly? I'm trying to get an idea of what the rest of the program looks like, specially the pulling on the other days.

    Also if you wouldn't mind sharing your...
    -age
    -height
    -weight

    I'm leaning toward more DL volume in the form of a light day or as a back off to the primary work.
    Ex 24-17 HLM rep progression page 262 -Single day of pulling.

    59y 5'8" 180lbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    If your issues is simply handling heavier weights then working in limit rack pulls every other- or every third week is a good idea. It will get weight in your hands and reinforce staying over the bar, which is important at the initial start of the pull.
    I'm fine with staying over the bar mid foot on the shins. I'm just struggling to straighten the legs once I have the bar a couple of inches off the floor. Once I have the legs straight, then the lock out is pretty easy. It seems to have become a sticking point which is limiting further addition of weight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I never lean toward more deadlift volume for a masters lifter, as I have found it to be unproductive unless there is a form error to correct. And then I'd be very careful with it.
    Do you think that's still the case at my current lift ? I'm only pulling 147.5kg ( 320lbs ). I'm also lifting after light squats and heavy press-could that be responsible for making the DL tougher than it need be ? I'd thought of shifting it to a seperate day incase of interference, but wondered if doing so might reduce the stress dose ?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    39,673

    Default

    I think that your pull after light squats and heavy presses will work just fine. It might be time to investigate the idea of rack pulls as your heavy pull every other week.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think that your pull after light squats and heavy presses will work just fine. It might be time to investigate the idea of rack pulls as your heavy pull every other week.
    Can you explain how that is implemented please ?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    39,673

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •