Default Programming after a cut?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello all,

Stats:
    Most recent 1RM successful attempts:
    Squats - 140kg - 142.kg
    Deadlifts - 167.5kg (I did manage 2 x 2 for these towards the end of the cut actually)
    Bench - 90kg
    OHP - 60kg (did this months ago however).
    Height - 5'8
    Weight - 73+kg
    Been lifting consistently since August 2018. Been lifting for a long time actually with stupid programs, but really started progressing after lots of evaluations and from reading the book since August.

If this has already been posted (I searched I promise!) or if this is in PP3, my apologies and please redirect me accordingly.

I've spent the last 5 months attempting to lose fat on a modified Texas Method - some of my lifts were still progressing initially, despite at a very slow rate, but eventually they all stalled. Weight went from 79.5kg to 72.3kg. Volume was initially 5 x 5 but as it got too difficult it became 3 x 5. Quite certain I overdid some of the volume days however.

My question is, after cutting, how should I program my lifts? I lost very little strength in the process but lifts that previously felt like RPE 10, I shouldn't expect these lifts to go up just because of a sudden caloric surplus (from experience, after attempting these a few times, they weren't able to go up. My previous 5RM of 135kg 1 month into my cut is now 130kg at the end of my cut, also feels like an RPE 10).

I was thinking of backing off by 10% or so and then attempting linear progression for a bit. Or maybe just back off 10% or so and resume Texas Method with a weekly progression as per normal.

Thanks in advance.

Funny, I read that article years ago and it's slipped out of my mind entirely.

A bit more background:

- My previous 167.5kg deadlift attempt at 2x2, I only managed 1 rep about 10 days ago. I decided to run it out and go a weight up above my last 5RM (152.5kg) and did 155kg and that too I managed a single at what felt like RPE10. My last two weeks of my cut I guess I got a bit desperate to hit my weight goal (even though it made no visible difference on my physique) so I must have lost some strength because that's when I really noticed a drop in performance.

- I rather not get too big because I compete in boxing, MMA and BJJ. Not recently cos I've been a fat fuck but I wanted to get as strong as possible then get back down to 71kgs or so. Anything heavier I'd be at a significant disadvantage because of my height. Matter of fact I think my goals are pretty achievable without getting too big. A 160kg squat, a 180kg deadlift, and anything above a 100kg bench. Nothing too crazy.

Now I'm back on a caloric surplus, I can't expect my 1RM at 155kg to suddenly go up by a few reps now can I? Would it not be wise to back off by another 10% and do a linear progression? Or continue Texas Method style progression with once a week PRs and a volume day (particularly for the other lifts as well, not just deadlifts). Attempting singles on a weekly basis at ~RPE10 appear wise.

Regardless, I appreciate your time and response.

Yes, at 5'8" 160 is entirely too huge.

Why?

He would have an unfair advantage in MMA. the point of MMA is not to win the match, it's to win the match fairly. Size and strength are not fair.

Not sure where to go from here - I did state that I was willing to eat (and currently am) and am willing to get heavier for now. MMA's not and will never be a career, just a bit of fun in throwing leather on, bouncing heads a little and poppin joints the ways that'll scare your chiropractor. I can always cut my weight later on. Winter's approaching too and I'm moving to a country with the 4 seasons so I'd be more than willing to bulk.

All I was asking, lifts that have regressed and now feel like RPE 10s when they never used to, would it be a wise idea to back off by 10-15% and continue with a Texas Method style progression or back off more and attempt linear progression for a bit?

It appears unrealistic that sets that feel like RPE 10s can suddenly feel like RPE 7-8s when sufficient calories have been consumed, especially when the previous session was a balls out set.

Side note, most 5'8s are typically in the 145-155lb divisions. You get a couple that are in 170lbs, but these are few. You get to 180lbs and you're competing against guys who're above 6'0.

Just do the program. You are underweight by 40 pounds. MMA worships abs, not effective MA. RPE is complete bullshit. Read the website, where all of this has been discussed in great detail. Learn before typing. If this is harsh, find another website.

- Yeah maybe I shouldn't have bought PPST3 then if everything's on the website. It's almost as if there's no such thing as information overload and that I bought a couple of SS books to help clear things out. I genuinely haven't come across any articles that have mentioned how one should eat/program after ending a cut and resuming a bulk (got some from Lyle McDonald but that's about it).

- The military is tough (I got lucky though in all fairness I was in the Air Force). Fighting is tough. Barbells don't fight back. Neither do people online. I'm not offended, matter of fact I'm thankful for your input even though it was very ambiguous initially.

- Your take on RPE interests me. It's mentioned briefly in PPST3 (can't remember page number) and Andy Baker has mentioned in some of the forums about using it as a gauge. Considering that many strength athletes do rely on RPE, you would think there's something there but I'd love to know why you think it's all bs. My only reason would be that it makes it seem that too many external variables can alter one's RPE that may sometimes be out of one's control when people should just be quiet and lift.

starting strength coach development program
    Search function.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast