starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift variation on TM

Default Deadlift variation on TM

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi. I'm starting the 4-day TM version #2 as written in PP 3rd edition. Stats: 27, 6'0, 225. Recent lifts x 5: pr 180, bp 265, sq 465, dl 545

Deadlifts are getting heavy and taking a lot to recover from. Is now the time to switch between a 3-week cycle of halting deadlifts, rack pulls and regular deadlifts as outlined here: Programming Halting Deadlifts | Nick Delgadillo ?

Do I stick with 5lbs progression, even though each lift will only be done once every 3 weeks?

Maybe. How long have you been training consistently? Are you moving to this 4-day TM from your LP or did you do a 3-day TM first? If so, did you "run it out"? What will be your volume day pulling movement?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Patterson View Post
    Maybe. How long have you been training consistently? Are you moving to this 4-day TM from your LP or did you do a 3-day TM first? If so, did you "run it out"? What will be your volume day pulling movement?
    1) I've been training for years but have had many periods of doing other stuff and being injured. I've been consistently training just for strength for about 8 months now.

2) I reran SS a bit at the start of the year to rebuild some of the strength I had lost, and then switched to some weekly progression stuff hitting each lift 1x week.

3) Power cleans.

If you think it is recovery though, make sure your sleep and food are on point.

I actually prefer to preserve the primary movement for as long as possible. To that end I'll start to use/rotate different rep ranges on the heavy DL day. For example, alternating between 1x5 and 1x3.

If you do decide to alternate the movements I would start with a rotation of either Rack Pulls/Deadlifts or Haltings/Deadlifts based on where you are weaker (off the floor or at lockout). Do the one that uses the ROM that you are not as strong in. I'd keep each moving up 5 pounds each time it's done for as long as possible.

It might be the right time, and it might not. If you are going to program for yourself you need to make the most educated guess that you can when it comes to changes. If you are still making all of your reps it probably isn't time yet though. An experienced coach can sometimes see a miss coming and make a change preemptively, but unless you've missed before you don't know when it is coming, and even with experience it's still a guess.

I guess it is not the right time yet because I can't even answer whether I'm weaker off the floor or at lockout.

Quote Originally Posted by moargainz View Post
    I guess it is not the right time yet because I can't even answer whether I'm weaker off the floor or at lockout.
    I think that given the absolute loads lifted and your time under the bar you are most likely an advanced lifter. What are your working loads right now? Those you listed or were those maxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I think that given the absolute loads lifted and your time under the bar you are most likely an advanced lifter. What are your working loads right now? Those you listed or were those maxes?
    Yeah those are my workloads. I think I have a lot of weekly progression for squats and deads left, as long as I can stay healthy. I'm making squat and deadlift 5s consistently. They are hard of course, but I'm not near failure. Here's how my last deadlift set looked: YouTube

All of those were forward and that counter movement is a big power leak. You are unlocking your arms and relocking them in an effort to get it to move faster. Fix your arms, get your shins back, and let it "feel like a longer pull" and you may get more out of it. Add 2.5 kg next week and post up a video and let's see how well you recover in 7 days. While you wait, read my recent article on this: Artificially Weak Deadlifts: Perception vs Reality Part 1

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    All of those were forward and that counter movement is a big power leak. You are unlocking your arms and relocking them in an effort to get it to move faster. Fix your arms, get your shins back, and let it "feel like a longer pull" and you may get more out of it. Add 2.5 kg next week and post up a video and let's see how well you recover in 7 days. While you wait, read my recent article on this: Artificially Weak Deadlifts: Perception vs Reality Part 1
    I liked that article -- and it comes at a good time as I'm about to help someone through the NLP.

Thanks for the form critique. Here's today's set: YouTube

The bar's knurling is warn out and my left hand kept slipping. I couldn't get the last rep. It also felt awkward because of the form change. I tried to get a bit closer to the bar in my start position, but looking at the video, I'm probably still too far away. I also tried to keep tension in my arms and keep it there before pulling.

I wanted to see how it felt with a heavier weight, so I did a 600lb single and somehow managed to hold onto the bar: YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    You are strong no doubt so I appreciate you taking the time to clean things up and squeeze more weight out of the bar.

So your arm issue has remain unchanged from your last workout. You straighten your arms and pull simultaneously. It's an involuntary thing to your subconscious desire to avoid the inevitable suckage off the floor. There is an isometric component to the deadlift. It is important you don't skip it. You want your arms and thighs stretched to the max that you can stretch them in that position before beginning to pull the weight off the floor. Your bar is forward and shins are too horizontal, yes, but the power leak in the arms is going to be the issue that will take some gettin used to. So "pull before pulling" if that helps. I'm also happy to consult if you are in the market for that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast