starting strength gym

Thread: Programming Deadlift on 3 Day Texas Method with Narrow SQ/DL Gap

Default Programming Deadlift on 3 Day Texas Method with Narrow SQ/DL Gap

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Height: 6 feet
    Weight: 225 lbs
    Finished LP and have been running three-day Texas Method for four weeks with the following 5 rep PRs:

SQ: 335 lbs
    DL: 355 lbs
    BP: 240 lbs
    OP: 142.5 lbs

I probably fit into the "artificially weak" deadlift category as my 5 rep max for my deadlift (355 lbs) is only 20 lbs heavier than my 5 rep max for the squat (335 lbs). I suffered though a series of deadlift deloads during the early to middle stages of LP due to bad form and psychological barriers about the lift itself. I was eventually able to correct my form (with the help of this forum) and break through the psychological barriers to hit a solid groove on the deadlift towards the end of LP. I am currently running 3-day Texas Method. Now that I have put all of the form issues and other problems behind me, I really enjoy the lift and am adding five pounds to the bar every week per the TM program design. My question is, what is the best way for me to put more distance between my squat and deadlift within the constraints of 3 day TM? I think adding 10 pounds per week once per week might be a little too much for me at this stage and was thinking of deadlifting twice per week (1x5 on volume day and 1x5 on intensity day) so I can add 10 pounds per week to my deadlift (spread over two sessions) versus 5 pounds per week for the squat. I would like to run this for at least a few weeks to increase my deadlift numbers and the gap between my deadlift and squat. I'm just wondering if this is going to be too hard on me from a recovery perspective as my quads, glutes and hamstrings are generally pretty shot from squat volume day. Or should I just not worry about the relatively narrow DL/SQ gap at this point? Any recommendations or feedback is appreciated.

You have a couple of options here. First you could lower the squat weight and create a greater offload. The other option is you could alternate rack pulls and haltings every other week if you are missing reps. I’d address it regardless though because once that squat gets heavy the overlapping stress will interfere with the pull. I’m happy to help with this if you’re in the market for some coaching as well.

Thanks for the reply and for your deadlift article, which helped bring me to this realization in the first place. Per your advice, I am going to lower my squat weight. How much should I lower my squat weight by if my recent squat five rep PR is 335 pounds and my deadlift PR is 355 pounds? Also, thanks for the coaching offer, I will strongly consider that option as I continue to progress as an intermediate lifter. I live in Phoenix so I am close by.

Come by the gym and train. First visit is on me. Let's chat there.

Thanks for the generous offer Robert. I will plan on reaching out to you in the near future.

starting strength coach development program
    Looking forward to it Brent