starting strength gym

Thread: Challenges of Starting Strength for Women at Big Gyms into Bar Suggestion?

Default Challenges of Starting Strength for Women at Big Gyms into Bar Suggestion?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My girlfriend lifted a bit when she was younger. She likes the "feeling" of lifting so I shared my Starting Strength info with her. Of course, she had never been exposed to this simple but effective program.

The biggest challenge she has faced is the lack of "light" bars at her gym. They start at 45 lbs which is ok for deadlifts - but is too much for benches and standing presses to start the program.

She told the manager they needed to get some lighter bars along with more of the smaller weights. She said he tried to have her use the weights in the cardio burn area -but they are too short to use in the racks. He seemed surprised that she specifically wanted to do squats. Luckily I had warned her to ignore silly stuff that she might hear at the gym.

So, can anyone recommend a lightweight standard length Olympic bar?

Rick in St Louis

I grabbed Rogue's 15lb T (technique) bar a year ago. My wife was able to use it to make her way up to where even her press warmup sets are at 45, so right now the bar lives with my mom, who is giving it a whole second life.

+1 for the SS 10kg bar. I picked one up for the wife & (someday) the kids. The knurling is amazing. The only problem is now I want the 20kg too.

I would buy these for the most practical solution

ROGUE ADD-ON CHANGE PLATES