starting strength gym

Thread: KSC Method for Raw Powerlifting Questions

Question KSC Method for Raw Powerlifting Questions

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

After looking through Andy's Power Lifting program, I had a couple of questions. I am hoping either he or someone with more experience than me (most of you) can clarify the following:

1. Several of the exercises have alternate set/rep ranges on volume days. For example, Bench Press, perform 5x4 or 4x5. I guess in theory, the total number of reps/volume is the same. Is one choice as good as the other?
    2. Rack Pull - I thought I remember reading on the forums that Rack Pull's ruin bars. Is this the case? Should I use a cheap bar for this?
    3. For those of us that are carrying around a "few" extra pounds, is there an approach to get started with dips or should I substitute the exercise completely? (45 year old male, 6'1'', 260lbs)

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by gemini929 View Post
    Hello,

After looking through Andy's Power Lifting program, I had a couple of questions. I am hoping either he or someone with more experience than me (most of you) can clarify the following:

1. Several of the exercises have alternate set/rep ranges on volume days. For example, Bench Press, perform 5x4 or 4x5. I guess in theory, the total number of reps/volume is the same. Is one choice as good as the other?
    2. Rack Pull - I thought I remember reading on the forums that Rack Pull's ruin bars. Is this the case? Should I use a cheap bar for this?
    3. For those of us that are carrying around a "few" extra pounds, is there an approach to get started with dips or should I substitute the exercise completely? (45 year old male, 6'1'', 260lbs)

Thanks for your help!
    1. Percentage programming is trying to take you from point A (current 1RM) to point B (1RM PRs) through different means (exercises) and methods (sets, reps) through a serious of educated guesses (commonly based off training history. So the programer has probably (through coaching many lifters) found that 20 reps @80% will meet the goal of that week in the grand scheme of the mesocycle. Since 4's and 5's have similar time under tension and the load is standardized @80% (the tonnage will be the same) its probably to mitigate drops in performance/ individual differences. On your 1st set if your feeling good go for 5's if its not or your questioning it do the 4's.
    2. Heavy Racks pulls can bend a barbell so use a junk bar if possible
    3. Barbell logic has a video on dips with some different options. You can also look @ the goal of the programmed means (ie the dips) and its coinciding method (max reps for "x" amount of sets) and find a comparable swap for something else
    I hope this helps

A couple of additional followup questions/clarifications...

For the NLP, we used the same weight for all of our 3x5 sets/reps. When you ask for 3-5 sets of 8-10 reps, do I assume that the same weight should be use for all sets/reps just like in NLP?

Speaking of sets/reps, what would drive the choice of 3 sets vs 5 sets?

For reps, do I look to choose 8 reps and do them for all the sets or do I look to complete 8 minimum and increase the weight when I get to 10 reps in all the sets?

Quote Originally Posted by gemini929 View Post
    A couple of additional followup questions/clarifications...

For the NLP, we used the same weight for all of our 3x5 sets/reps. When you ask for 3-5 sets of 8-10 reps, do I assume that the same weight should be use for all sets/reps just like in NLP?

Speaking of sets/reps, what would drive the choice of 3 sets vs 5 sets?

For reps, do I look to choose 8 reps and do them for all the sets or do I look to complete 8 minimum and increase the weight when I get to 10 reps in all the sets?
    Prescribing left and right limits on accessory work is slightly trickier. Accessory work should be taken to technical failure since the means (exercise) & method (commonly an implement other than the barbell) are not as stressful. What complicates the matter is your accessory work will probably fluctuate with the stress emparted on you from the barbell lifts. You can go about it in one of 3 ways. #1) You can pick a conservative weight and try to hit the top limit of your volume protocol (ex. 50×10×5, then next week maybe you get 50×10×4, 50×9). #2) You can pick an aggressive weight and hit the minimum volume protocol and try to push volume over time (ie. 50×8×3, next wk 50×9×2, 50×8). Or #3) you can go higher volume when the barbell movement is HI/LV or LV/HI on the asst exercise when the BB movement is HV/LI

Correction #1 example was intended to be 50×10×5, then the following week 55×10×4, 55×9