starting strength gym

Thread: Intermediate to Advanced transition?

Question Intermediate to Advanced transition?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I started out with SS NLP about two years from now, and my parameters were these:

Sex: male
    Height: 1.75 meters
    Weight: 80 kg

Squat: 220x3x5
    Press: 90x3x5
    Bench: 150x3x5
    Deadlift: 240x1x5

I had a little of a lifting background because of having played sports all my life, so i managed to learn the lifts on my own by recording me hundreds of times.
    About three months later i finished the LP at the following numbers:

Squat: 310x3x5
    Press: 145x3x5
    Bench: 250x3x5
    Deadlift: 370x1x5

After that i started a HLM organization type of training, with the next general structure:

Monday:
    Sq PR set + back off sets from 3 to 4/Press 4x5/Chin ups 3x5

Wednesday:
    DL PR set + back off sets from 1 to 2/Bench 3x5/SQ 3x5

Friday:
    Press PR set+back off sets from 3 to 4/ Squat 4x5/ DL 2x3/5

alternating bench with the press

I'm not a explosive athlete so the power cleans do not carry over to my deadlift at all.

Over time i had to start combining volume and intensity to match the requirements for homeostasis disruption.

My current program is a four day split that looks like this:

Monday:
    Press PR set(3,2,1)+ Back off sets/ Bench 5x5/ WCU 2x3+2x5

Tuesday:
    Squat PR set(3,2,1)+ Back off sets/ SLDL 3x3

Thursday:
    Bench PR set(3,2,1)+ Back off sets/ Press 5x5

Friday:
    Deadlift PR set(3,2,1)+ Back off sets/ Squat 5x5

My latest singles PRs are:
    Squat 440x1
    Press 230x1
    Bench 305x1
    DL 500x1

Currently i weight 95 kg and am 23 years old, but feeling that i have very little room left for new adjustments on the intermediate programming, so the question is, should i start with the ''late intermediate'' to ''early advanced'' transition with four week blocks or should i try with maybe some suplemental lifts to permit more volume in the lifts, or add another slot of squatting, pressing, etc, while mantaining and ''intermediate'' type organization of training. Maybe i'm wrong and far from advanced programming (i wish i am) but i have no one close to look up to in therms of programming in this stages.
    Thanks for your time and sorry about the shitty english.

That's some fine progress there and it looks like you've planned this well thus far. When you say you have very little room for adjustments do you mean that you are unable to make weekly PRs at this point? If you are unable to hit weekly PRs have you attempted bi-weekly PRs?

Yes i ment that, i'm going to try with bi weekly PRs since next week. Should i schedule them alternating two prs per week? For example Squat and Bench on one, DL and press on the other, or just go with four prs in the same week? I guess the first option is better for spreading the stress a little bit more troughout the cycle.
    Thank you very much Mr. Santana.

Four is rather logical. You could also alternate squats and deadlifts and squat heavy on the week that you do the heavy rack pull and squat lighter the week that you pull from the floor. You'll just have to play with it and see what works. The bench press and the press could be done on the same week since those lifts tend to recover quicker. I'd just do one at the top of the week and one at the end of the week.