How much time to rest between deadlift sets when dropping to sets of 3s, 2s, and 1s How much time to rest between deadlift sets when dropping to sets of 3s, 2s, and 1s

starting strength gym

Thread: How much time to rest between deadlift sets when dropping to sets of 3s, 2s, and 1s

Default How much time to rest between deadlift sets when dropping to sets of 3s, 2s, and 1s

• phoenix arizona seminar date
    • texas seminar date
    Hi,

I am doing a 2x/week TM for squat and deadlift (bench is out for now because of an injury), and am planning on dropping my deadlift from 1 set of 5 to 2 sets of 3 for this coming week (what Practical Programming describes as stage 2 of TM, if I recall correctly).

I am a 46 year old male, about 220 lbs (100kg) body weight, and last week's deadlift was 1 difficult set of 5 at 374 lbs (170 kg). Before the summer, I did this weight and it was significantly easier for me but I then quickly sputtered out at 379.5 lbs (172.5 kg). Over the summer I went several weeks without training, dropped the weight by 22 lbs (10kg) and then climbed back up.

I realize that a switch to sets of 3s, then 2s, then singles is the stage that I am at.

When doing 1 set of 5, I would wait about 8-10 minutes after finishing my warm-up deadlifts before doing the work set (I do deadlifts after 5RM on the squat, so there is some cumulative fatigue that I think that contributes to the long wait).

My question is: How much time should I wait for sets of 3s, 2s, and 1s? Both between the warmup sets and the first set, and between the work sets themselves?

Thank you,

Michael

Rest until the fatigue dissipates. At least 5 minutes, more for triples.

Thank you!