• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    210 lbs 6'2" 33 year old male. I finished my most recent round of NLP with;

SQ 345x5
    DL 385x5
    BP 245x5
    PR 175x5

I made the switch to an HLM of my own making, the past week looked like this, no standing press due to headspace in the gym;

Saturday
    SQ 305x5x5
    BP 210x5x5
    PU +35x5x3

Monday
    Paused SQ 255x5x3
    Seated DB Press 70x6x3
    DL 365x5x2

Wednesday
    SQ 285x5x4
    Incline BP 185x5x4
    RDL 265x8x3

I have been progressing slowly with around +5 Pounds to most every lift for the past 3 weeks, with emphasis on the Heavy SQ, DL, and BP in bold. I am moving forward and feeling pretty good, but I was wondering if anyone could see any pitfalls I am likely to encounter. And, what changes would likely need to happen once progress stalls?

The program looks solid. It's tough to say what will go wrong first and how to proceed with training when first stall happens. Increasing weight on the bar and decreasing volume is one solution. But that shouldn't be done to the extremes since you don't have a conventional intensity day. Next step would be switching up the assistance exercises. Bunch of options.

I suggest you post again when problems actually happen. It's easier to answer specific questions rather than hypothetical ones.

Why sets across on the deadlift? I'd drop a set on the light day squat and a set on the heavy day squat. That's whole lot of work on the hips between your squatting and deadlifting volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Why sets across on the deadlift? I'd drop a set on the light day squat and a set on the heavy day squat. That's whole lot of work on the hips between your squatting and deadlifting volume.
    The sets across on DL I modeled after Andy's Classic HLM, which calls for 4x5 DL.

For the squat, you are suggesting

H- 6x5
    L - 2x5
    M - 4x5

Am I reading that right?

As Ivan mentioned, you don't have a conventional intensity day for your heavy lifts. Did you consider a top set and backoffs for your heavy days? You finished your LP with 345x5, but you won't have 345 on your back for another 8 weeks the way you have this set up. It seems as though you've opted to reduce intensity across the board in favour of volume. I'd probably opt for a combination of the two on heavy squat and bench days in the form of a top set and backoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    As Ivan mentioned, you don't have a conventional intensity day for your heavy lifts. Did you consider a top set and backoffs for your heavy days? You finished your LP with 345x5, but you won't have 345 on your back for another 8 weeks the way you have this set up. It seems as though you've opted to reduce intensity across the board in favour of volume. I'd probably opt for a combination of the two on heavy squat and bench days in the form of a top set and backoffs.
    I won't speak for Ivan, but I don't think that exactly what he said.

And, yes I considered it. Assuming progress goes smoothly for 8 weeks, 345x5x5 would be a welcome PR.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Jones View Post
    The sets across on DL I modeled after Andy's Classic HLM, which calls for 4x5 DL.

For the squat, you are suggesting

H- 6x5
    L - 2x5
    M - 4x5

Am I reading that right?
    I suggested dropping the light day. Just seems excessive especially with the 4 x 5 DL.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I suggested dropping the light day. Just seems excessive especially with the 4 x 5 DL.
    I would direct you back to both my OP and yours

The program looks fine. It is not how I would structure a post novice HLM, but this your journey. We can not predict when and where the pitfalls will happen, but I can offer general advice about how to tweak when they arrive. When something starts to run out of steam, you can switch to a top set and backoff model, or you can reduce the reps/sets where you are stalling and add possibly add volume to the lighter day/variation. Both of these strategies will preserve the general structure of the microcycle. As things start to stall, look back at Rob's comments in this thread and reflect on your experience with his recommendations. The reflection will help you learn more about the training process, regardless of the outcome to be.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Jones View Post
    I would direct you back to both my OP and yours
    Valid. Still, my point was that given the amount of combined squat and pulling work (per your OP), you probably do not need a light day.