starting strength gym

Thread: Early Intermediate Programming While Losing Weight

Default Early Intermediate Programming While Losing Weight

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello everyone. I’m an early intermediate looking for some advice on how to program during a weight loss period and would greatly appreciate any help! I’m 5’10’’ 28 yrs old and weigh 245lbs. Waist is 42”.
    After completing my LP I started the standard 3 day a week TM to buy me time to sort out how I would perform the weight loss period. I have dreaded doing the cut because I know I will lose some strength but I do think have to cut back a little so that I can start making gains at a healthier bf %.

I’m on my third week of the TM and my current lifts are as follows:
    Squat 440x5
    Press 205x5
    Deadlift 455x3
    Bench 290x5

I know that the TM will grind me into powder if I eat at a caloric deficit in a short amount of time. Should I continue to do the TM but start pulling sets from volume day while increasing intensity until I’m doing something like Old Man Texas Method? Should I switch to HLM? I just don’t quite understand the details of fighting to keep weight on the bar in a predictable manner through the process. If I program intelligently, can I still make progress in strength? I’d like to also keep the 3 day a week schedule. Lastly, if anyone has any articles that talk about this specifically, please point me in the right direction.

Much of this is hit or miss but with a 42" waistline you are likely to experience a change in leverage that will impact your squat, press, and bench press (depending on your touch point). Your deadlift may go up in the process though so that's a plus. Some variation of heavy light medium is the best way to approach it but the real key is to make sure that you are remaining in a caloric deficit each and every week so that you are not dragging this thing out longer than you need to. Does this make sense?

Makes sense. What I’m getting from this is as long as I’m in a deficit for the week I’m good as to not drag it out too long and I can’t really predict how much strength I lose and at what rate. I do plan to only cut for 3 months like you recommend to. I’ll run HLM and program it from a stress standpoint than from purely a weight on the bar one and also make appropriate calorie and macro adjustments in harmony with the training day stress or off day. I suspect this would mainly pertain to the heavy stress day as to not totally bonk on it. Am I correct looking at it that way?

Yes. I would also supplement carbohydrates during the workout especially when calories get low. This will prevent big drops in blood sugar during periods of caloric restriction.