starting strength gym

Thread: 4-Day TM

Default 4-Day TM

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've ran out NLP and I'm taking a stab at building 4-day TM program. I've read so many different ways to split the TM, and I want to make sure I'm on the right track here. I chose the TM 4-day split over 3-day because of time constraints and recovery advantages. I'm 5'8, 200lbs, and I'll be 35 next month. Here are my lifts at the end of NLP:

Squat: 335lbs (1x5)
    Deadlift: 355lbs (1x5)
    Bench: 240lbs (2x5)
    Press: 175lbs (1x3)

Below is what I've chosen to start with. I used a basic 4-day model in PPST and what I read online (SS coaches who've posted examples of altered programs) to alter the program for me.

Monday Tuesday Thursday Friday
    Week A Volume Bench Intensity Pull / Volume Squat Intensity Bench Intensity Squat / Volume Pull
    Bench 5x5 Deadlift 1x5 5RM Bench 1x5 RM Squat 1x5 5RM
    Bench Assistance Squat 5x5 (90%) Light Press 3x5 (80%) Deadlift 3x5 (85%)
    Week B Volume Press Intensity Pull / Volume Squat Intensity Press Intensity Squat / Volume Pull
    Press 5x5 Deadlift 1x5 5RM Press 1x5 5RM Squat 1x5 5RM
    Press Assistance Squat 5x5 (90%) Light Bench 3x5 (80%) Deadlift 3x5 (85%)
    All % are of the most recent 5RM (3RM for Press)

As I progress and lifts begin to stall I plan to cycle reps/sets as mentioned in the book for each lift. I'll also maybe throw in pulling assistance exercises when time allows. My main concern is using deadlifts for volume pulling. Is a 3x5 DL @ 85% sufficient? In the book power cleans are used, but I've never really power cleaned so I'm looking for a replacement here. Any advice or comments are appreciated.

Power Cleans are recommended because you don't need a very heavy pull to get work in and the power clean keeps you pulling from the floor, albeit lighter weights, quickly to work on explosiveness. Now using deadlifts isn't wrong per se but if you are going to use them you need to consider two things:

1) Squat volume - squats and deadlifts should not be viewed as separate lifts and rather cumulatively since the stress on the hips and low back from both lifts overlap

2) The volume pulls should be sufficiently lighter than intensity pulls. I'd say ~75% with a variant that makes the light weight more difficult (e.g. RDLs, paused pulls etc). Alternatively, you could do alternate partials every other week. So haltings or deficits one week and rack pulls the next.

Honestly though, I think your low back is likely overtrained if you are pulling 20 lb over your squat with both in the low 300s. I'd offload the squat more so you can get that deadlift up to where it belongs.

Thanks for the advice, Coach. I'm planning to schedule some coaching at the SS gym in Austin as soon as my schedule allows to properly learn PCs and then incorporate them into my training. Until then, I'll use your suggestions above to program my lifts for volume pulling.

Regarding my squat vs deadlift weight, what you mentioned is in line with what I was actually planning. I left out some info in the original post because I was trying to keep it from getting too long and I thought it was slightly off topic. But, my DL hasn't failed just yet. It's lagging behind because I had a grip issue about 5 weeks ago (now fixed) and I reset a little more conservatively than I probably should have. I pulled 360 for a set of 5 this morning and I plan to pull 365 for 5 on Friday. Even though I finished NLP on squats at 335 for 5, I'm starting TM squats this week at 320 for 5 on intensity day. This would put my DL 45 lbs. over my squats at the end of the week, and I may even be able to squeeze out a few more DL 5RMs before switching them to intermediate/TM.

Again, thanks for taking the time to give me some valuable advice.

You are welcome. Get to Austin soon. You'll learn a lot!