starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Input on my lifts, back injury, readiness for power cleans, etc

Default Input on my lifts, back injury, readiness for power cleans, etc

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey SS community: I could use some input on what I've been doing. I lifted weights and have worked out for years (p90x), cycled, swam, run. Oh, I'm 5'10" and 200 lbs. Last Fall I herniated a disc in my lower back while on a long trail run where I fell. I spent months recovering, and finally went to see a Chiropractor who happened to be a competitive Olympic weightlifter. She suggested Starting Strength to recover from that which seemed counter-intuitive at the time but it has been amazing. I started with an empty bar and the App and the SS book in Feb. Now I'm at the following worksets:

Squat: 245
    Bench: 215
    Press: 135
    Deadlift: 330

However, I was reading threads on this last night and read I should not be using a Hex bar. This 72 y.o., very hairy guy at my gym is deadlifting 480 and was the one who told me that over 45, the hex bar is better ergonomically. So I'd like some input on that, as he is clearly doing something right.

Questions:
    1) When do I go from Novice to Intermediate? I have not added chinups, but re-read the book this week and am going to do so.
    2) I'm a little afraid to add Power cleans because of all the motion and I'm still a little careful of my back. Any concerns about that or should I start in? Again, I am careful of my back--I still have days when I can feel the nerves twinge after a heavy set of deadlifts
    3) I'm only lifting twice a week because I just don't recover like I did in my 30's. I'm also swimming a mile twice a week and walking twice a week. Is that too much cardio and too little lifting?
    4) I have at times used the de-load option on the app when I fail in a workset. I'll de-load the next time, but then incrementally add and progress. Is that a right way to be using the deload function? It seems to help me to continue to make progress.

Geoff

Rip talking trap bars
    YouTube

There is no set time/weight for intermediate. I would buy PPST for those details.

Never have used swimming for cardio but many say it doesn't go well with strength training.

If you learn to clean with good form, you can probably do them with out jacking your back up. Get your deadlift strong to strengthen your back. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by pd_oldguy View Post
    Rip talking trap bars
    YouTube
    When rips says the trap bar deadlift is unsafe because its heavy and unstable at lockout, isn't this the case for a press lockout? bench press lockout? A heavy squat at the top? Genuinely curious what he means here.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron8 View Post
    When rips says the trap bar deadlift is unsafe because its heavy and unstable at lockout, isn't this the case for a press lockout? bench press lockout? A heavy squat at the top? Genuinely curious what he means here.
    I think the differences are obvious here. The problem is presumably due to wiggling the spine around while it is loaded in compression.

The press can do this, but the weights lifted in OHP would not ordinarily be heavy enough to stress the muscles stabilizing the spine. If you are pressing 350, you have already figured out whether a trap bar is right for you, and are excused from this discussion.

Bench weights are heavier, but do not load the spine in compression. Having an unstable bench lockout may bother your shoulders, I guess.

The difference between a heavy squat at the top and a locked out trap bar is of course that in a squat the bar is tight against the shoulders, and not (potentially) swinging around at the bottom of your arms. So there is minimal wiggling of the loaded spine.

It is of course possible to do trap bar deadlifts without injury, but we are comparing relative risk here. If two lifts offer me the same benefits but one increases my risk of injury or even just tweaking my back, I’ll stick with the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    If two lifts offer me the same benefits but one increases my risk of injury or even just tweaking my back, I’ll stick with the other one.
    Does this advice apply to Power cleans? Asking for a friend.

Of course it does. If you're 65 and just starting the program, don't clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Of course it does. If you're 65 and just starting the program, don't clean.
    Come on coach! What if your a 275 lbs 36 year old that is uncoordinated AF? Asking for a handsome friend of mine of course.

Learn to clean, obviously. You want to stay uncoordinated?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Learn to clean, obviously. You want to stay uncoordinated?
    Hasn't been an issue so far. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast