starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strength/Conditioning Combo?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Do you Bro. Part of lifting is experimenting with what works for you. But Rip has decades of experience. I train middle schoolers twice a week. They want to max out all the time. Guess what if I let them they would never make gainz.

Think about max volume. 225 for 5x5 is 5,625 total pounds. Now think of 275 3x5 is only 4,125 total pounds. Over time that adds up to a lot of extra volume. Now think about adding 5 extra pound to 225 next week. It should be okay. But add 5 pounds to 275 and it gets way harder to hit all your reps. All programs have a volume phase for this purpose.

Keep us posted on how your progress goes in the training section.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Antipodal evidence? Is 5/3/1 popular down under, or something?
    Nice job you caught the golden snitch! I love typos the crack me up LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Maybe you're missing the part about the millions of people over the past 100 years who have tried every permutation of training and have concluded that 5s are the best rep-range for strength and conditioning.
    I hear you Rip; sets of 5 are the best rep range for strength AND Conditioning - it's like an extremely efficient jack of all trades rep range, nothing else needed to get both strong and conditioned for most. I see you're not a fan of trying to separate these components, whereas I am - just a personal preference. I was thinking I could make the strength training component even more focused on pure strength gains and just do the conditioning work on another day - this only came to mind after reading your quote that lower reps are best for pure strength (but sacrifice the conditioning component - I hear you loud and clear on this). But like I said, since I personally wouldn't mind separating them (and would even enjoy it) it is something I would be willing to experiment with. I'm gonna go with your first comment to try it out and see how it works out. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappey1 View Post

Think about max volume. 225 for 5x5 is 5,625 total pounds. Now think of 275 3x5 is only 4,125 total pounds. Over time that adds up to a lot of extra volume. Now think about adding 5 extra pound to 225 next week. It should be okay. But add 5 pounds to 275 and it gets way harder to hit all your reps. All programs have a volume phase for this purpose.
    I see; total tonnage is a big component of creating the stress to drive the strength adaptation. Intensity alone is not enough. Thanks, I'm gonna experiment with the 1-3 rep range, but it may prove I need to do to many sets to add up tonnage. Will see.

As a novice lifter, I am pretty sure I personally can't work anywhere near as close to my theoretical 1RM as a more experienced lifter.

Doing sets of 3, I doubt I'd be comfortable using substantially more weight than I do with 5s. I wouldn't feel like I had control of the bar. I would want an experienced coach directly supervising if I were doing singles with a weight I truly couldn't lift more than once. Unsupervised, I'd likely either injure myself, or just not manage to do enough singles without enough weight to drive adaptation.

So with 1-3 reps, I'd just be doing way less work over all. I'd assume that, in general, a novice lifter is not going to be able to lift with the same intensity as an advanced lifter, so they aren't going to get as much benefit from an advanced program that relies on heavy low reps.

starting strength coach development program
    As a novice lifter, you don't have a 1RM, theoretical or otherwise. You do sets of 5 and go up a little every workout, and that is all. Anything else is a waste of time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12