starting strength gym

Thread: Late novice program

Default Late novice program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What do you think of this program i made for myself. I'm a late novice lifts are squat 315x5, deadlift 375x5, press 155x5 and bench 225x4. I was doing starting strength (not doing power cleans) but i found out that squatting then later deadlifting screwed up my deadlift progression because i always get beat up from the squats. No chins because I'm too fat to do them I'm 230lb. 5'11
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Day A:
    Squat 2x5 1x5+
    Bench 2x5 1x5+
    Barbell Rows 2x5 1x5+ (To help my shitty bench and improve my weak upper back for DL)
    face pulls 2x15
    curls 2x8 (for the girls)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Day B:
    Deadlift 1x5+
    Press 2x5 1x5+
    front squats 3x5 (quads are my weak link in squats)
    CGBP 3x10 (triceps strength is my weakness in bench)
    curls 2x8
    face pulls 2x15
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The progression goes like this (I stole this from Greyskull lP) lets say I'm going to squat 315 today. I do 2x5. Then, on my last set I do 315 for as many reps as I can (5+) (I try not to go to complete failure).
    If i get:
    5-8 reps add 5 lb
    10+ add 10 lb
    If I get less than 5 reps on my squats, I drop the weight by 10% then work back up again. But the nice thing is that now I can focus more on hypertrophy since I'm doing 5+ reps on the last set with lighter weights. This way I'm still progressing even though I reset the weight. So in a way I have a period to focus on hypertrophy until i finally reach that 315 again and crush it with my new hypertrophy gains. I feel like this way of progression is vastly superior than just reseting and just working up to the failed weight. It is more motivating because you are still progressing even after a reset in weight. Let me know what you think . I'm planning on losing fat after this stalls and running the Texas method.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 11-20-2019 at 08:40 AM. Reason: spelling