starting strength gym

Thread: Modified Texas Method

Default Modified Texas Method

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just finishing up my my bastardized SS program. I'm 51 yr old male 6' 200lbs medium fitness about 15-20lb overweight. I have pre-existing back injuries which have come up and set me back a few times over the past few years so I do not squat or conventional DL, I only do trap bar dead lift which I figure is a mix of the two and is easier on my back. My last numbers were:

Trap bar 310 3x5
    Bench 220 5x5
    Seated OH Press 110 4x8
    and a few assistance exercises (chin up, inverted rows, barbel curl, weighted dip)

I just started using the TM template

Mon (volume) Wed (recovery) FRI (intensity) Tue/Thur/Sat (accessory as able)

Bench 5x5 Bench 3x5 Bench 1x5 Chin up 3x5
    Trap Bar 5x5 Trap Bar 3x5 Trap Bar 1x5 Inverted Row 4x8
    Press 5x5 Press 3x5 Press 1x5 Curl 4-8
    Dip 4x8 Dip 2x8 Dip 1xfailure

My eventual goals are 315 bench, 405 trap bar, body weight press, and overall muscle increase. I don't compete or play sports. Just want to get strong and look good.

Any input or advice is appreciated.

I have that and used to until unable to consistently add weight. I also have practical programming and liked that the program was somewhat customization and thought it would be a good template to use.

Well, okay.

What happened to your back? You can trap bar DL 305, but are you really not comfortable building a base of strength for the conventional DL starting at 135 and just using NLP? I know for me, granted it's not injured, but my lower back was massively weak compared to the rest of my body, but NLP with 135 on squats and deadlifts have pretty much solved this problem. It wasn't injured, it was just weak. Not sure if this'll help you, but doing those moves really does bulletproof the lower back.