starting strength gym

Thread: Warming up for next exercise during workset rests

Default Warming up for next exercise during workset rests

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've read some posts here that suggest warming up for next lift during workset rests as an option for time-strapped lifters.

Most people I've read seem to have done this with exercises across the body (e.g. warming up for bench during squat workset rests), not on the same parts of the body (deadlift-squat / bench-press).

I'm doing a 4-day upper-lower split, so for me this means I would be warming up for, say, my volume bench during my intensity press rests.

Anyone have experience with this?

I want to cut my workout times down a bit, and it would be an investment in some new equipment to be able to do this, but if it'll save time and not hinder progress too much I'm willing to give it a go.

It will definitely effect your work sets if you warm up for bench during pressing. The time save is such a small percentage of the total time benching on heavy volume days that I don't see why anyone would consider to do this.

I am currently doing a similar 4 day split. I've found I don't need as much warmup for the second lift. 3 or 4 warmup sets usually and only resting as long as it takes to load plates. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes, but it's still a bit of a break from the last heavy set you just did.

Consider the fact that pressing will already have you much warmed up for bench, and squats for deadlifts, etc. Therefore, you can cut the number of sets and reps needed to work up to working weight on the second lift when you get to the second lift.