starting strength gym

Thread: Modified Madcow

Default Modified Madcow

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is what the original program looks like, the sets are ramped rather than across:

Monday
    Squat - 5 x 5
    Bench Press - 5 x 5
    Barbell Row - 5 x 5
    Assistance: 2 sets of weighted hypers and 4 sets of weighted sit-ups

Wednesday
    Squat - 4 x 5
    Overhead Press - 4 x 5
    Deadlift 4 x 5
    Assistance: 3 sets of sit-ups

Friday
    Squat - 4 x 5, 1 x 3, 1 x 8
    Bench Press - 4 x 5, 1 x 3, 1 x 8
    Barbell Row - 4 x 5, 1 x 3, 1 x 8
    Assistance: 3 sets of weighted dips (5-8 reps), 3 sets of barbell curls and 3 sets of triceps extensions (8 reps)

This is my modified idea:

Monday
    Squat - 5 x 5
    Incline Press - 5 x 5
    Barbell Row - 5 x 5
    Assistance: 1 set of chin-ups before barbell lifts and 1 set of lat pull-downs after barbell lifts

Wednesday
    Squat - 4 x 5
    Power Clean - 4 x 3
    Deadlift 4 x 5
    Assistance: 1 set of chin-ups before barbell lifts and 1 set of lat pull-downs after barbell lifts

Friday
    Squat - 4 x 5, 1 x 3, 1 x 8
    Incline Press - 4 x 5, 1 x 3, 1 x 8
    Barbell Row - 4 x 5, 1 x 3, 1 x 8

I know it's best to follow programs as strictly as possible. My reason for modification is that I want to do incline press only rather than alternating bench press and overhead press because overhead press is causing me chronic pain due to an injury. I substituted the Wednesday overhead press with power clean, please let me know if it would be better to instead substitute the power clean for the Monday or Friday barbell row and do another pressing movement on Wednesday. My reason for all pulls for assistance is to correct an imbalance, my chest is significantly more muscular than my upper back and my shoulders roll forward. Please let me know your thoughts on my modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by strongnovice View Post
    Please let me know your thoughts on my modifications.
    I think the cows are going to be mad. Stress for cattle is not good. You should listen to Rip’s latest podcast on his STARTING STRENGTH channel about the beef industry and the benefits of keeping the herd happy.