starting strength gym

Thread: Body Pump + NLP

Default Body Pump + NLP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Good evening community,

I know very similar questions have been asked as far as balancing other activities with SS. As I begin my journey into NLP, most of the podcasts and articles I’ve read seem to indicate to the SS work and other activities after. My apologies if this is covered in the book - I’m only 40 pages into it. If this is and the response is ‘read the book’ I accept my fate. Ha. Otherwise here goes.

Here’s my predicament:
    I teach a class called Body Pump twos days a week on Tuesday / Thursday. It’s endurance based lifting, really watered down stuff; basically sets of 100 reps split across different songs and exercises. I DO NOT consider this a primary form of exercise for me. As the instructor, I try to keep my own personal level of fatigue to a minimum as I am there to coach it, however, I have to teach with enough weight they it appears I am working out with them. And it does generate some level of fatigue.

The issue is I have is timing NLP with my pump classes. I work up until the moment before I teach my classes, so I can’t do my NLP before teaching Body Pump. My original idea was to do it Monday/Wednesday/Friday and take Saturday and Sunday completely off. However, I feel the pump classes in between the SS sessions will be just a touch too much as far as volume and fatigue management.

I am not a complete rank novice in terms fitness and gym exposure, but I am definitely still a novice as it it pertains to SS. I’ve had a workout routine prior, but it was too broad and not focused. Even though I’ve spent years in the gym, I do not consider myself intermediate. I want to do only SS and my 2 pump classes per week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I used to kill Golden Retriever puppies for a living. I didn't really have anything against Golden Retrievers, it was just my job, so I had to figure out the best way to do it. I strangled them with my hands, because it was fast, quiet, and required no other tools that could potentially hurt me (can't have that!). I would then use the meat for protein supplementation, so there was less waste. Over time I developed a method by which each puppy could be dispatched with a combination of strangulation and a C2 fracture, so that the process only took about 10 seconds per puppy. My primary concern was that I didn't fatigue my hands, or otherwise hurt them, to the point that it affected my training. I think I solved the problem nicely.

You'll have to do the same with your Body Pump class -- get a fake "barbell" to use at the front of the class, figure out a way to only do about 10% of the reps the poor fools in the class have to do with your unweighted fake barbell, and just hope no one finds out that you're making them do this stupid shit without actually harming yourself in the process. Don't worry about the deception, because it's only a job.

Hope this helps!!

This is solid gold.

Robert, why do you do the exercises you proctor while proctoring them? Are you there to work out or to work?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I used to kill Golden Retriever puppies for a living. I didn't really have anything against Golden Retrievers, it was just my job, so I had to figure out the best way to do it. I strangled them with my hands, because it was fast, quiet, and required no other tools that could potentially hurt me (can't have that!). I would then use the meat for protein supplementation, so there was less waste. Over time I developed a method by which each puppy could be dispatched with a combination of strangulation and a C2 fracture, so that the process only took about 10 seconds per puppy. My primary concern was that I didn't fatigue my hands, or otherwise hurt them, to the point that it affected my training. I think I solved the problem nicely.
    You bastard

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

You'll have to do the same with your Body Pump class -- get a fake "barbell" to use at the front of the class, figure out a way to only do about 10% of the reps the poor fools in the class have to do with your unweighted fake barbell, and just hope no one finds out that you're making them do this stupid shit without actually harming yourself in the process. Don't worry about the deception, because it's only a job.

Hope this helps!!
    Start the countdown to when someone quotes this out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Start the countdown to when someone quotes this out of context.
    It will be on wikipedia soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    It will be on wikipedia soon enough.
    "In his early life, Mark Rippetoe worked as a puppy strangler..." followed by a source link to the forum post.

starting strength coach development program
    That was a rather comical response but it actually drives the point home rather well. Thank you to all who took the time to respond to the thread. Hope everyone has a good Xmas Season and New Years.