Thread: Programming for Abnormally-Tall

Default Programming for Abnormally-Tall

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good Evening,

Height: 6'7"
    Weight: 255-265

I successfully ran a modified version of the SSLP and took my Squat to 255 and Deadlift to 320. Not anything to write home about, but I'll take it. One night after a set of Squats I cut the training session short because my lower back started to balloon and tighten up. Several hours later I was in pretty bad shape and getting out of bed or standing up was a life-or-death struggle. Wanting to rule out spinal or disc issues, I decided to see a doctor.

Doctor wrote it off as mechanical back pain and told me to take 6 to 8 weeks off.

Friend of mine is a chiropractor (although he's never formally assessed me) and said roughly the same thing, but added I should still find a way to train and that "doing nothing" would be the worst thing to do. He is familiar with Starting Strength, 5/3/1, etc, and casually mentioned that I should find a way to add in additional lower back or hamstring work.

I began fiddling around with arched-back good-mornings and RDLs for high sets with the bar which actually provided some relief. I don't know if this is just from the blood being pumped into the area or this is actually reinforcing the connective tissue.

In any event, I would like to incorporate RDLs and GMs going forward into my training, and was wondering the best way to do that. I was thinking something like:

Monday and Friday
    Squat - 5x3
    Bench - 5x3
    RDL or GM - 8x3

Tuesday
    Light Squat - 5x2
    Press - 5x3
    Deadlift

Thanks for reading.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I way out of line?

Video of your lifts?