starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tweaking Novice LP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Gbraddock View Post
    Report back with your experience of 6 months of training? I’ll pass.

And...I’ll stick with 4 decades of experience in strength programming. You would be wise to simply buy the SS book and follow the vast programming suggestions there instead of trying to reinvent the wheel with your own tinkering.
    It's going well so far, so I'm going to keep it up. Everybody has differing genetics, and environment, etc. Training needs to be enjoyable, and recovery needs to be considered on an individual basis.

The sad part is nobody is actually offering me advice here. Just nailing me for doing things differently and undermining my knowledge on energy/metabolism pathways in the body. I'm leveraging the PPP (pentose phosphate pathway) for restoring muscle glycogen on a low carb diet and tapping into my fat reserves to fuel my activity rather than choosing to fuel with carbs (highly oxidative/inflammatory pathways).

Go and google Volek's work on fat adapted athletes. It can take 24-36 months to become truly fat-adapted, and most trainees are too impatient to cut carbs long enough to allow for complete adaptation to occur.

Quote Originally Posted by kris90 View Post
    It's going well so far, so I'm going to keep it up. Everybody has differing genetics, and environment, etc. Training needs to be enjoyable, and recovery needs to be considered on an individual basis.

The sad part is nobody is actually offering me advice here. Just nailing me for doing things differently and undermining my knowledge on energy/metabolism pathways in the body. I'm leveraging the PPP (pentose phosphate pathway) for restoring muscle glycogen on a low carb diet and tapping into my fat reserves to fuel my activity rather than choosing to fuel with carbs (highly oxidative/inflammatory pathways).

Go and google Volek's work on fat adapted athletes. It can take 24-36 months to become truly fat-adapted, and most trainees are too impatient to cut carbs long enough to allow for complete adaptation to occur.
    Why do you assume I (or anyone else here) are naive to your dietary philosophy? You were still crapping in your diaper when I was first experimenting with being fat adapted. Further, I was a former triathlete and have experimented with this in both explosive power sporting applications as well as endurance ones.

That’s probably what is inviting the ridicule from the posters.

It is.

The sad part is nobody is actually offering me advice here. Just nailing me for doing things differently and undermining my knowledge on energy/metabolism pathways in the body. I'm leveraging the PPP (pentose phosphate pathway)
    You are smart enough to learn a word like "mitochondria" and "pentose phosphate", yet you are not smart enough to move your squat programming from training-to-training progression to weekly progression ?

We will google Volek's work and see his research on fat adapted athletes, but you should google Rippetoe's work on programming your training after novice stage.

All I asked was if my tweak was ok based on being fat adapted.

The sad part is nobody is actually offering me advice here.
    Actually they have:

I wouldn’t shift to a 3x3. You still are novice. You need sets of 5. Maybe try putting some carbs in your diet and see what happens. I’d bet the results will surprise you.
    You would be wise to simply buy the SS book and follow the vast programming suggestions there instead of trying to reinvent the wheel with your own tinkering.
    To which you of course responded with argumentative justification for why your current methodology is better.

Quit kidding yourself. You're not here for training advice, you're here to flaunt your fat-adapted ass and are disappointed the ignorant Rippetoeans are too busy nuthugging to see your superior ways...

Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    Actually they have:

To which you of course responded with argumentative justification for why your current methodology is better.

Quit kidding yourself. You're not here for training advice, you're here to flaunt your fat-adapted ass and are disappointed the ignorant Rippetoeans are too busy nuthugging to see your superior ways...
    Ok, so the only advice was stick to 5s, and add carbs, and buy the SS book. I won't add carbs (or atleast not a significant amount) because of the metabolic pathway I'm trying to leverage. As for 5s, what do you do when you know you can lift heavier weight but at the expense of cutting a rep or 2?

When I first began the program, 5s were considered low reps to me, since my bodybuilding days I usually focused on 8-12. I liked 5 because the fatigue is lessened although intensity builds up. Well now I'm liking focusing on intensity, and am feeling that hitting a set of 5 at new weight is becoming quite challenging/taxing, so I thought I'd continue to add weight to the bar and go to triples.

Anywho, I made an attempt at reprogramming so I could maintain my volume while increasing intensity, hense trying for 5x3 on Day 1 which allows me to hit my 15 reps. Haven't had much feedback on that.

As for 5s, what do you do when you know you can lift heavier weight but at the expense of cutting a rep or 2?.
    He's pretty dense, guys.

It's not sad. People are trying to help you. And, in terms of your lifts, it's NOT "going well so far." Your LP is stalling before mine did, and I'm a 49yo unathletic guy who started with about 30% BF who hadn't touched a weight since high school. You should be zooming past me. Maybe, if you want the NLP to progress, you should follow the instructions in Starting Strength, you know, the book that lays out the NLP. There is information about diet in there. And the recommended diet is not what you're doing.

If you want to do things differently, that's fine. Maybe you're onto something. But if you come to the Starting Strength boards for advice, you're going to get advice based on Starting Strength. Your diet may be ideal for something besides getting your lifts heavier, since you have proven that, at least for you, it's not really compatible with the NLP, otherwise you wouldn't be stalling early.

You are getting some shit about your dietary philosophy, as your assumption that you can select which energy pathways your body uses and somehow deactivate others, as if your body is a machine, shows naivete. Are you an engineer by any chance? No matter your diet, your blood glucose level will be normal or high. How are your preventing your mitochondria from utilizing it? And I am curious what are the "5 health ailments" you have cured with this diet. What were they? And what evidence do you have that you have "burned out" your HPA and HPT axes? You are making strange claims, so don't be surprised that you are greeted with skepticism. Many people on these boards have seen a variety of diet "hacks" come and go over many years, and none have been the miracles they were touted to be. And above all, don't take it personally. This is the internet.

starting strength coach development program
    You say you don't care about physique. So why are you so set on staying at 170? Without arguing about the nature of your diet, why not eat enough to get yourself to 190 or so? That's not big by any stretch, but it would put you in a far better position to move heavier weights.

As far as your programming plan goes, you're talking about cutting volume to a point that you're not going to provide enough stress to drive strength gains. Combined with staying underweight, it sounds like a perfect way to stall completely.

Now, I don't think that your chosen diet is going to get you to your strength potential. You'll have to prove that to yourself. But I guarantee you that *no* diet is going to get you there if you refuse to eat enough to actually gain the mass you need to get stronger.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast