starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tweaking Novice LP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by 8odin8 View Post
    OP, how long do you plan on living?
    It's not so much about how long, but about living disease-free and keeping my mitochondria functioning optimally.

I've already reversed 5 health ailments by making some lifestyle changes and optimizing my environment. Becoming cold-adapted was a big deal for me living at a high latitude (I'm at the 45th latitude in Canada). See Wim Hof, he's pretty badass.

Then stop worrying about your training, and enjoy your mitochondria and your immortality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Then stop worrying about your training and enjoy your mitochondria and your immortality.
    Well given mitochondria are fueling muscular contractions to support lifting, I think I can do both. I just think my programming may need a little tweaking. Favoring intensity over volume, but I've got a new setup I'm gonna run and see how we do. Reps of 3 for squats with more sets to maintain volume, and some back-off sets of 5.

I gotta say I'm doing pretty well on a near-zero carb diet fueling with fats and training fasted.

Of course you are.

Anyways, we're focusing on the irrelevant facts here... I was looking for advice on my programming.

As mentioned there are some updates: switching to reps of 3 for squats. Day 1 (Volume) is 3x3 @ 90% 3RM, 2x5 (-10%). Day 2 (Light) is 2x5 @ 80%. Day 3 (Intensity) is 1x3 (hitting a new 3RM) and a back-off set or 2 for 5. I'm continuing to milk LP following 3x5 on pressing, and doing my 1x5 DL once per week with Rows and Chins as "light" pulls.

Sound ok?

Probably not enough volume...

Actually it’s probably fine. But I get the impression that you are already convinced of the superiority of your methodology, and any attempts at modifying your modifications would be met with argumentative justifications for your choices.

Besides, what do your mitochondria think of your program?

Lol I love the hate because I've found a pathway that links longevity with performance... Well thanks everyone for the great advice. I'm going to proceed based on my own instincts, and I'll report back my progress at the 6 month mark of training.

You should write a book!

Lol love it...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by kris90 View Post
    I'm going to proceed based on my own instincts, and I'll report back my progress at the 6 month mark of training.
    Report back with your experience of 6 months of training? I’ll pass.

And...I’ll stick with 4 decades of experience in strength programming. You would be wise to simply buy the SS book and follow the vast programming suggestions there instead of trying to reinvent the wheel with your own tinkering.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast