starting strength gym

Thread: Beginner - Need Some Help

Default Beginner - Need Some Help

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    44 years old, 5'8", about 205, fluffy for sure. Have the blue book. Pretty athletic but not a lifter at all since college, generally fight hip stiffness, soreness and had low back diskectomy about 22 years ago. Been lifting pretty regular the last 6 months, was planning to transition into NLP this year, with COVID-19 decided to outfit a home gym and start now. 3 weeks in. Squat up to 200lbs, OH Press 90, Bench 155 lbs, Deadlift 280. Eating right I think, now up to about 210.

My form is not great on the squat. Other lifts seem ok, not expert but ok. Got to 200 but thought I should back off to 170 and focus on form. Just can't get to depth and getting some pain inside the thighs where leg meets pelvis / front of hip. When i try to push the depth i tend to let my knees go forward. 170 doesn't feel heavy anywhere, just feel like i hit a floor on squat depth, like there's something keeping me from getting lower.

I don't want to lose the ability to make progress, is it ok to keep doing my 3 weekly workouts with squat around 170 as "practice" until I get form improved? Should I halt the program until I am better with the lifts in general? Planning to also seek some online assistance and in-person once we are allowed out again.

Thanks - T

Post a video in the technique forum.

Step 1, post a video form check in the Technique forum.

Might be worth posting a form check in the technique section. Can you get to depth without the bar as outlined in the book?