starting strength gym

Thread: Are my work-sets stats totally random!!?? Am I fat now ???

Question Are my work-sets stats totally random!!?? Am I fat now ???

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Male 48 (except a few "decadent phases" I have always been active with good nutrition since high-school/college)
    193 lb

I was around 175 when I started the program six months ago. I had a couple of set backs and wasted a couple of months. Struggling to reach 3300-3600 clean cals. Average daily protein intake, at least 200 g approx and carbs 300 approx. I only started doing cleans last week. I am a pescatarian (no red meat and chicken in my diet).

My questions: are my work-sets "average/normal"...? are my macros too high/low? I am not sure I am progressing as I should.

This week I struggled completing the work-sets of bench and presses. I think these are my weak points. Deadlift is ok and I feel I can continue progressing. Squats are getting harder. I am incrementing 5 lb each session. I recently ordered some micro-plates but I am travelling for work and I won't get them until the beginning of February. I am going to try to keep going for as long as I can, although, I admit that I am not enjoying the extra and very visible waist/belly fat.

I am alternating between A (squats bench deadlifts and chins) and B (squats presses deadlifts -from this week cleans instead of deadlifts-. Switching every week and training 3 days per week, as indicated in the book.

Squats 245 lb (started with 165)
    Bench 145 (started with 80 )
    Press 110 (don't remember)
    Deadlift 300 (176 lb)

Chins 3x6

Your numbers don't seem out of line, depending on what your starting points were on the lifts. You definitely need the micro plates now, esp. for the OH press. Your bench should probably be higher than it is, so progress at larger intervals than your OH press. The latter should go up 2 to 2.5 pounds each session. Bench should go up 5 pounds per session for a couple more weeks, at least.

You definitely need to keep eating at a caloric surplus and add more bodyweight or the progression of your lifts will indeed grind to a halt sooner or later. But the fact that your lifts are "getting " harder right now is normal, and no indication that you near end of your NLP.

[QUOTE=Ricky_Ocean;1757693] I recently ordered some micro-plates but I am travelling for work and I won't get them until the beginning of February.

I feel I am getting stuck with presses and bench. What should I do until I get my micro-plates? Deload? Repeat the workout ?

Thank you for your answer BastiaBB !!!

Should I deload the OH press as I wait for the micro plates or keep repeating the same weight ... ?

If you started six months ago but then state you have had a couple of wasted months, that seems to me that you've really only actually been doing the program for a few months, but spaced out over 6 months. Thats not going to allow you to make constant progress. If you're eating like you're lifting 3 days a week for the last 6 months, but not consistently lifting for the last 6 months, then yeah, you're going hit road blocks.

I don't know anything here, but if you've taken. long period off, maybe scale back the weight and start the progression over. Seems like you'd make much more progress over time doing that instead of just starting where you left off and adding micro plates. What makes this work is being able to stick to the prescription...3 days a week consistently. Moths off here and there but still eating like you're lifting regular are just going to make you fat.

Greetings:

Until your fractionals arrive you can progress the reps. Put 110 on the bar and do as many reps for three sets as you are able. Your goal is 5,5,5 but if you only get 3,3,3 that is okay. Next time load up 110 and do as many reps. You must do more total reps than you did last time. When you get to 5,5,5 add 5 pounds to the bar. The standard NLP way is the best, but sometimes you have to make lemonade.

Plates arrived. But thank you for the great advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Patriarca View Post
    Greetings:

Until your fractionals arrive you can progress the reps. Put 110 on the bar and do as many reps for three sets as you are able. Your goal is 5,5,5 but if you only get 3,3,3 that is okay. Next time load up 110 and do as many reps. You must do more total reps than you did last time. When you get to 5,5,5 add 5 pounds to the bar. The standard NLP way is the best, but sometimes you have to make lemonade.

You can get a lot more weight on your 5'11" frame.

I'm 5'6" and I weighed in at 210 this morning.
    Maybe a little fluffy, but squatting in the mid 400s and DL in the low 500s

If you want to get stronger, eat about 1000 Cal more than you are and be consistent.

Don't worry about microloading below 1.5 lbs for press and bench press, and don't microload for squat and DL.

You may want to adjust the program so that you are pressing and bench pression every session, so that you go from 1.5 press and bench sessions per week to 2 sessions per week. Maybe something like this:

A B
    Squat 3X5 Squat 3X5
    Bench 3X5 Press 3X3
    DL 1X5 Clean 5X3
    press light 5X5 Bench Light 5X5
    Chin Chin

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel_ponzo View Post
    You can get a lot more weight on your 5'11" frame.

I'm 5'6" and I weighed in at 210 this morning.
    Maybe a little fluffy, but squatting in the mid 400s and DL in the low 500s

If you want to get stronger, eat about 1000 Cal more than you are and be consistent.

Don't worry about microloading below 1.5 lbs for press and bench press, and don't microload for squat and DL.

You may want to adjust the program so that you are pressing and bench pression every session, so that you go from 1.5 press and bench sessions per week to 2 sessions per week. Maybe something like this:

A B
    Squat 3X5 Squat 3X5
    Bench 3X5 Press 3X3
    DL 1X5 Clean 5X3
    press light 5X5 Bench Light 5X5
    Chin Chin
    Just fair warning, you and I are, as far as I know, the only ones here who correctly write sets x reps.[emoji23]