starting strength gym

Thread: Rehabilitation and the novice effect

Default Rehabilitation and the novice effect

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi All,

First of all, this is my first post and I am looking forward for learning from this community and successfully
    go through SS.

I bought and read the book last year and I am keen to start my LP, but currently I have a lot of back pain
    and a patella lateralisation to fix, which will require me to go through a few months of specific weight training
    (prescribed by the Physiotherapist) to strengthen my "core", my quads (mainly vastus medialis) and glutes.

I am 45 years old and my only experience weighting lifts was 10 years ago when I lifted consistently for roughly
    one and a half years.

My concern is, I would like to take advantage of the novice effect when I start my SS LP in a few months time,
    but I am worried these months of rehabilitation training I will go through might eat away my opportunity to reap
    the benefits of the novice effect. Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks,
    Fabio

Sure. You can refuse to waste time with their ridiculous "rehabilitation" and start training productively now. Lots of things on this website to read about this. Get busy.

Training is, itself, rehabilitation. The closer to training rehabilitation gets, the better it is. You likely don't need special physio exercises to strengthen your core, quads, and glutes, unless you aren't willing to train and you aren't willing to work hard. This is where Physio makes its money. We take advantage of the fact that most people lack enough self-efficacy to train through pain. In fact, our profession's name, itself, implies a passive, easy experience. Therapy sounds relaxing. It sounds like something someone does to you. Rehabilitation, though, implies rebuilding. It implies work. Rehab is what I perform in the clinic. I don't do therapy.