starting strength gym

Thread: Press Complexity

Default Press Complexity

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Having just read Rip's article on MED, I'm concerned my programing, specifically for the press may be too complex. I would like some feedback from the audience.

I'm a Male; 5'6", 200 lbs, 39 years old.

Adding 5 lbs on the Squats Monday and Friday.
    Adding 2.5 lbs per week on the pressing movements
    Adding 5 lbs weekly to Monday's Volume Pull and Friday's intensity pull

M
    Squat 3X5
    Narrow BP 3X10
    DL 3X5

T
    Press 5X5
    DB Incline 5X5
    Pullups 5 X 10

W
    Squat 3 X 5 (@85% of Monday)
    Press 6 X 3 EMOM

Th
    Press 5 Singles
    Weighted Pullups 3X5

F
    Squat 3X5 (+5 lbs from Monday)
    DB BP 5X5
    Deadlift 1X5

Very Respectfully and Semper Fidelis;

Danny

Depends on your numbers for the lifts, and your level of training advancement.

Unless you’ve been pressing a lot longer than you’ve been squatting, since you’re still adding ten pounds per week to your squat, you probably don’t need to be training five days a week or doing four different pressing movements in four different rep ranges. I’m also curious why you aren’t doing a regular barbell bench press at any point during the week.

Sir; Thank you very much for your reply.

I'm an intermediate. I completed my NLP in the fall of 2014. I'm doing an LP on my squat because I had to cut back on volume and intensity due to an adductor injury last fall.

Last squat session was 380 X 5 X 3
    Pressing 195 for singles and 165 for 5X5
    Last DL was 355 X 5 X 3 volume and 405 X 5 on my intensity day.

I've had some chronic pain in my left shoulder when I flat bench, so I mostly supplement with higher volume DB flat and incline bench presses and narrow grip flat bench.

Goals for 2020: Squat 500. Press 225. Maintain a solid USMC PFT (260 points or higher)

Hi Daniel,

Your entire program does indeed have a great deal of needless complexity... lots of junk volume here.

I'm also going to assume that since you're a Marine, you are probably doing a whole bunch of weekly PT and Running as well. Keep in mind, that this will generate a whole bunch of extra fatigue that needs to be accounted for when structuring your program.

This article will help you with structuring your programming for the upper body lifts: Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts | Nick Delgadillo
    Last edited by Cody Annino; 01-17-2020 at 07:04 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Hi Cody;

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate the help and will read the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Annino View Post
    Hi Daniel,

Your entire program does indeed have a great deal of needless complexity... lots of junk volume here.

I'm also going to assume that since you're a Marine, you are probably doing a whole bunch of weekly PT and Running as well. Keep in mind, that this will generate a whole bunch of extra fatigue that needs to be accounted for when structuring your program.

This article will help you with structuring your programming for the upper body lifts: Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts | Nick Delgadillo