starting strength gym

Thread: Afraid I'm NDTP

Default Afraid I'm NDTP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Started my NLP on 1/3/20, and I've already run into a 'stall' on my deadlift. I'm a 35 year old male (168lbs at 5' 10").

Squat - 135x5 to 185x5 (Having issues with my form, but I'm working with a SSC to address the form issues.)
    Deadlift - 225x5 to 265x5
    Press - 85x5 to 95x5
    Bench 135x5 to 145x5

On Wednesday's workout, I was unable to complete the deadlift set of 5 at the weight I was supposed to (275). I got 4 good reps and was able to lift the 5th rep all the way up, but I was unable to lock it out. So, I didn't count it as completed. I waited a few minutes and was then able to complete the last rep without any issues.

Question 1 - Not applicable since I'm not doing sets across with my deadlift.

Question 2 - This was a 10lb jump, which I thought would be easily doable based on how the set of 5 at 265 felt on Monday. Am I biting off more than I can chew? I was under the impression that you could get away with 10lb jumps on the deadlift for at least a couple of weeks.

Question 3 - I'm not really measuring my food except for rice (meaning I don't weigh anything), but I've drastically increased my food intake since starting the program. I drink a protein shake for breakfast (never ate breakfast before), leftovers for lunch, and have been doubling my servings of protein for both lunch and dinner. For example, today's lunch consisted of a thick cut NY strip steak, a cup of brown rice, container of greek yogurt, a cup of blueberries, an orange, and a banana. Dinner tonight will be baked chicken thighs (2 or 3 depending on what I can fit), a cup of brown rice, and carrots. I'm sleeping, or attempting to sleep, at least 8 hours a night. I have twin toddlers, so that sleep is sometimes interrupted, but not to the point that I feel tired at all the next morning.

If I had to guess, I would say that I have one of two issues. I either started my deadlifts too high to begin with, or I overestimated the number of times I would be able to make 10lb jumps with that starting weight. Please feel free to correct me if I'm completely off base.

I'm really, really early in the program to be having issues, so I know I've screwed up somewhere. Would appreciate someone pointing out how I'm being dumb.

Thanks!

Thanks Rip, but I have read both of those articles before. Hence why I went ahead and answered the 3 questions.

Then you didn't comprehend them. Read them again. Especially the part about question 2, and what you should expect at 5'10" at 168.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Then you didn't comprehend them. Read them again. Especially the part about question 2, and what you should expect at 5'10" at 168.
    Yes, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Frazier View Post
    Yes, sir.
    Shea,
    We will address all of this at our session with you in April. Just for the record, Diego is 5'11 and weighs around 190lbs. When he started the program 10 years ago, he weighed around 160. He was 37 years old when he started. If you are consistent with your training AND your eating, you will gain weight and muscle. But you have to want to gain weight too and be okay with gaining weight. This is the only way you will keep your lifts moving forward in the beginning of your training. I am 5' 7 and weigh between 155 and 160. I started at 129lbs 10 years ago. It has been a lot of training and eating along the way these past 10 years.

Since you are meeting with us in April, please feel free to reach out to me beforehand with questions...I don't mind.

Emily

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily Socolinsky View Post
    Shea,
    We will address all of this at our session with you in April. Just for the record, Diego is 5'11 and weighs around 190lbs. When he started the program 10 years ago, he weighed around 160. He was 37 years old when he started. If you are consistent with your training AND your eating, you will gain weight and muscle. But you have to want to gain weight too and be okay with gaining weight. This is the only way you will keep your lifts moving forward in the beginning of your training. I am 5' 7 and weigh between 155 and 160. I started at 129lbs 10 years ago. It has been a lot of training and eating along the way these past 10 years.

Since you are meeting with us in April, please feel free to reach out to me beforehand with questions...I don't mind.

Emily
    Thanks, Emily! I've got a few things I'll be emailing you about.