starting strength gym

Thread: Seeking Programing Advice

Default Seeking Programing Advice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello

I realize I'm posting on the SS forums and I'm sure I'd get advised to do the SS program but alas I want perspective and some guidance in terms of training.

I've been a victim of functional training for about a year and have just recently started following progressive overload strength programs. I got to the point where I thought I was ready for a 5/3/1

To give some stats on myself:

Height: 5'11
    Weight: 182lbs

My main lift stats. These are all 1 rep calculations based off my 3rd week of 5/3/1. Humiliating enough was today, on my deadlift for week 3, I actually read the numbers I was supposed to lift in march this year instead of today's workout without even noticing until after completion. I felt this was pretty much the nail in the coffin so to speak on continuing 5/3/1. If I could do the work I am supposed to do almost 2 months from now, now, I should complete a much more linear progression program like SS. The main reason I enjoy about 5/3/1 is the accessory work and options at my disposal after my main lifts.

Deadlift: 293x1
    Bench: 229x1
    Squat: 255x1
    Press: 116x1

To finalize my question, Is it too late to start a starting strength program? I'm by no means strong but I'm not sure at how much progress I could make or if I should stick to my 5/3/1 and progress slow and steady. I hope this post doesn't come across as stupid or offensive

Thanks in advance.

Hi, 5/3/1 is a good program but for more advanced lifters. I did not have much succes with it on novice trainig. It was usefull to slip some squat and deadlift for guys intrested only in bench results. Easy trade with only one work set. Guess what happend to their bench as they got stronger in deadlift and squat...

Yes, you should run LP as soon as possible and than move to weekly progression. Buy Practical Programing book - it is all there.

I would start you with about 70% of your 1RM and work up from there. Maybe even lighter, as you will find that weight on the bar goes up lightning fast. And start with phase2 of the program.

Remeber to eat a lot. Later it is very hard to recover from workout to workout. You will need every single calorie.

Do not alternete the program ! Do it as it is ! Save those accesorie lifts for intermidiate programs.

We're the same HT & age and your a little heavier than I was when I started strength training. I too found Wendlers 5/3/1 before starting strength. I had limited success a little north of what your presenting with first set last repeats and joker sets. Was pointed towards SS by Will Morris (SSC, officer, and overall jacked af strong dude). But i half assed an LP before i bought the books. Once i got the books I skipped right to the intermediate section read Bill Starr's name and dove into HLM. Now I did have pretty good results on training that was unsuited and inefficient for what I was.... a novice. But i misinterpreted any results at all as "the best program ever". So do what I and so many others didnt do the first time around. Buy the books, read the books, read the books again, read the articles, start a log and listen to the hours & hours of videos. I returned to an LP about 14 weeks ago and have set many PRs. When in doubt do the LP you may be surprised at what you get out of it. I started this most recent LP in earnest with a singles @ SQ 410, BP 340, Press 220, DL 485 heading in an began @70% for my sets across. Best of luck on your pilgrimage I hope you do the basics right and grow out from there.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankIV View Post
    Hello

I realize I'm posting on the SS forums and I'm sure I'd get advised to do the SS program but alas I want perspective and some guidance in terms of training.

I've been a victim of functional training for about a year and have just recently started following progressive overload strength programs. I got to the point where I thought I was ready for a 5/3/1

To give some stats on myself:

Height: 5'11
    Weight: 182lbs

My main lift stats. These are all 1 rep calculations based off my 3rd week of 5/3/1. Humiliating enough was today, on my deadlift for week 3, I actually read the numbers I was supposed to lift in march this year instead of today's workout without even noticing until after completion. I felt this was pretty much the nail in the coffin so to speak on continuing 5/3/1. If I could do the work I am supposed to do almost 2 months from now, now, I should complete a much more linear progression program like SS. The main reason I enjoy about 5/3/1 is the accessory work and options at my disposal after my main lifts.

Deadlift: 293x1
    Bench: 229x1
    Squat: 255x1
    Press: 116x1

To finalize my question, Is it too late to start a starting strength program? I'm by no means strong but I'm not sure at how much progress I could make or if I should stick to my 5/3/1 and progress slow and steady. I hope this post doesn't come across as stupid or offensive

Thanks in advance.
    First of all, those calculated, theoretical 1RMs are meaningless, and worse than useless in that novice lifters like yourself take those numbers and then build out a whole program based on them. You should deal in reality – what are your actual heaviest sets of 5? 1RM numbers, real or imagined, are useless to you at this stage of the game. The real ones won’t really be real, because as a rank novice, you don’t even know how to hit anything close to a true 1RM yet.

So anyway. Don’t waste your time on 5/3/1. You are clearly a very early novice. 5/3/1 is an advanced program that is way too complicated for you. You’ll make much faster progress if you just learn the lifts correctly (buy the book), and do the novice linear progression as described in the book and in the resources available on this site.

Thank you for all the responses, much appreciated. Blue and Grey books are on the way.