• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Male 5'10" 203lbs 30 y/o

All are 3x5s except cleans
    Squat 340
    DL 365
    Press 145
    PC 165 5x3

I'm wondering if it's almost time to taper squats on the NLP to 1 heavy set and 2 backoffs. I'm really really fucking gassed after my first set, but I'm still hitting depth with pretty good form (a little chest pulling) - I had my form checked by Ryan on the technique forum.

My question is, how will I know when to taper? Do you recommend actually failing a lift before you consider tapering? Are there guideline weights for average males?

I'm not going to lie, Ryan told me that you don't know where your limits are that you should push it... but I am not sure if I want to fail a lift with 350+ lbs on my back. I have literally NEVER failed a squat before. I am self taught, with no spotters (y'all need to open a DC location). Gym has bars in their cages that can be used for safety.

As always, any help is much appreciated.
    Zack

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    When I saw the title of the post, I knew exactly what Rip's reply was going to be, without having to open the post.

I’ve read this article many times. It’s the reason I’m asking these questions because resting more between sets helped a lot from 315 to 340.

Resting 10+ minutes between sets. I set my alarm for 9 minutes, put my belt on and shit and then get focused, so it’s definitely 10+ minutes.

Sleeping well at least 8 hours a night. Not going to act like I’m the best sleeper in the world, but I’m definitely getting 7-9 and averaging 8.

NEVER gone up by more than 5 lbs on a squat other than ramping back up to 285 (took a month break due to changing cities and job). Took 10 lbs jumps on DL for awhile but stopped back at 315.

Eat a ton.

Morning:
    3-6 eggs
    3-6 sausage links
    Brussels sprouts or asparagus
    Big ass glass of milk and small glass of milk with creatine and beta alanine
    Coffee

Lunch1:
    Beef or venison with barley vegetable soup with carrots, mushroom, green beans and onion.

Lunch 2:
    Same as lunch 1

Dinner:
    Either 1) a serving of fish (salmon- wild caught) with Brussels sprouts, asparagus or some other vegetable medley or 2) you guessed it, more venison with barley vegetable soup. I also make burrito bowls as well that are loaded with chicken, brown rice and other stuff.

There are nights where I’ll eat a second dinner if I’m feeling it. I really do eat as much as I can.

30 min before training I drink coffee which has helped a lot with my first sets.

After training and the day after a training day I have a big ass protein shake as well.

Also taking HMB 3x a day.

Total intake of milk is probably about a half a gallon of day, leaning towards 3/4 a gallon on heavy days or if I’m just feeling like drinking milk.

What are your total calories/protein? Do the math.

Lower calorie day
    Calories 3750
    Protein 215g

Higher calorie day (basically add a shake and more eggs)
    Calories 4400
    Protein 255

I did two scenarios (less food vs more food). On average, my week is 4 days of high calories (days of and after heavy days - 2 heavy days per week). Tonight I'm doing 345... so I've already eaten a lot today and will eat a lot tomorrow.

The Beef with Barley soup I make is pretty loaded with either beef or venison. In fact it's less of a soup and more like stan efferdings monster mash. There was 9lbs of venison in the last pot that lasted me Monday - Friday lunch.

Sounds like it might be time to move to intermediate training. You have the gray book, right?

Quote Originally Posted by hill.1338@osu.edu View Post
    Male 5'10" 203lbs 30 y/o

All are 3x5s except cleans
    Squat 340
    DL 365
    Press 145
    PC 165 5x3
    No bench?

I do. Texas method would be my first choice unless you think there’s something better given the circumstances.

I just did 345 yesterday. Felt better than 335 and 340. Really trying to keep bar speed up by not pulling my chest when I grind on the later reps in later sets.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BastiatBB View Post
    No bench?
    Not that it matters in this thread since I'm only talking about switching to intermediate programming on the squat, but I simply forgot.

I have a trash right shoulder and don't consider bench to be very important. I train it because it contributes to full body strength but I have to balance the fact that if I work it too much it will take away from the other lifts (I went through about a month of this from 200-225). Therefore, I do A/B/A and not B/A/B in a given week. Benching too much makes it sore.

I bench tomorrow and my working set is 235x3x5... but I occasionally stop after the 4th rep on my last set if I feel it is going to shit. I didn't need to do this last week with 230, but I did at 225. I tend to play it by ear and adjust the workout if need be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast