starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2-Day Full Body Routine - Volume Advice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Bikesandcars, what is the reason for 1 mile run after strength training ?
    Getting your blood flowing after a grinder really helps you recover the next day. As long as it's not excessive you won't get hit too badly.

What if you focus on strength further out from your marathon and focus on running closer in?
    That's my plan exactly. I plan to taper the strength training as well once I hit 40/50 miles per week and reduce volume as needed so I can focus on running. I just am new to the idea of barbell training, so I want to make sure I'm doing it effectively rather than stupidly, which is my usual mode of operation. After this race cycle it'll be time to start strength training "for real".
    You're right about needing a coach though. It's been tough to find someone with that kind of Goldilocks experience. I think I'm going to have to be a guinea pig here for a little while.
    All that being said, is it still worth it to only press/bench press once per week? It seems like I'd rather focus my time on building press strength/proficiency rather than having to split my time and only getting a little of both.

In my opinion and my experience "active recovery" is a bullshit. This is one of this thing that seems to be logical on paper but fails in real life. Yeah, geting this blood flow, making sure all the nutrients are pushed to the growing muscles. If this would work then after a heavy squat workout you should be doing 3 sets of 50 air squats every 3 hours.

Long story short - if you want to focus on running marathon than 2 days a week of lifting weights will drive your strength up. It is not optimal but you want, at least for now, focus on runing. Do the program as it is. Do the bench press if you dont have injury. Benching with good form will not fuckup your shoulder. Read the book to learn how to do it. After your marathon you will make your weightlifting priority.

The most important thing - you need to eat more. Not just for lifting but simply to stay alife and healthy. No men should eat less then 2000 kcal. Simply because a juicy cheesburger with becon and fries got more then 2000 kcal. And why would you not want to eat something like that every day until you die ?

Quote Originally Posted by Szymon View Post
    Bikesandcars, what is the reason for 1 mile run after strength training ?
    There are several, my logic may be flawed (comments welcome) but I've tried this out on me with success.
    Remember this is under the guise of helping a guy who is trying to compete in running. (and thus not really "doing the program").

First the reason for running fast miles at all: I've found a very good cost/benefit ratio to 1 mile fast runs in general. It's only 10 minutes out of your life. It's achievable and easy to rationalize the effort (I don't skip them). They seem to build / keep my anaerobic capacity and aerobic recovery while not wearing me down like longer runs. It breaks up training monotony and forces the marathon runner into a faster-than-race pace condition. You can quickly turn fast mile runs (say 7 minute miles) into fast longer runs by doing intervals at first and connecting it together. Running faster than race pace is a nice complement to running slower than race-pace (long aerobic runs). I've found that although the Squat and Deadlift are superior for general strength improvement. Doing sprints / fast runs or sled pulls and adds some sport specificity that seems to help me transfer that strength over to my runs better (mind-body thing?).

Why after strength training? I want to focus on recovery during recovery days, so can't do them then. 1 mile fast runs (or shorter sprints) or sled pulls are closer to the "strength" arena than the LSD arena, it makes sense to combine them. I find doing them after my strength workout has minimal to no impact on my strength training, improves my overall conditioning, and fits well (it's only 10 extra minutes). If you can run a mile fast after a tough SS routine you can damn sure run one fast without the lifting and a couple days off. They "seem" to help recovery, but that's hard for me to quantify. Doing it before the workout seems to negatively impact my strength training more (which I focus on). Doing it after my strength training (even though it's harder) seems to provide more average benefit. If I was a sprinter I would train sprints fresh, but that's because I need to optimize sprint time, that doesn't apply here.

Are there other ways? sure. 2-a-days? why not... I'm not saying it's the "only way".

Quote Originally Posted by Szymon View Post
    Recovery day IS the day when you do nothig. This is whole point of recovery.
    Doing "nothing" to me means sitting at my computer or otherwise being very sedentary, maybe walking less than 5K steps a day. That doesn't' work for me. There is a level of movement my body requires to feel good and recover optimally. Any less (being too sedentary) seems to cause me stiffness and pains. Doing too much obviously impacts recovery. Eating a lot and doing nothing makes me feel like A$$. Taking 3 x 10 minute walks a day, doing rounds of pullups / pushups at low percentages of max weight and reps, band work, etc seems to have a positive impact on me. The OP has to figure out what level works for him. If doing nothing at all works for you then that's great.

All that being said, do you think it's still worthwhile to split between the press and bench press even though I'll only be hitting them once a week? I think I'd rather get more shoulder/stability improvements from the press rather than trade it for bench presses
    Yes, I would follow the A/B split with Bench / Press. It's there for time-tested reasons.

All of my ramblings aside: Starting a new and challenging strength training routine in-season isn't generally a good idea but the OP won't know that until he gives it a shot. I would start the weights really light and slowly ramp up. Better to plan further ahead and have a "running season" where you run and maintain strength and "out-of-season" program emphasizing strength training, recovery and speed. It's much easier to gain aerobic capacity by putting time into LSD AFTER you are strong / fast than the other way around. This is what all athletes generally do (football, etc).

This forum really isn't the place for a running program anyway: Better go to the experts for expert advice right?
    For running this is a time-tested program: Hal Higdon - Time-Tested Training Programs for Marathons & More . Notice what he says:
    Strength Training: A frequently asked question is: “Should I add strength training to my marathon program?” If you have to ask, you probably should not. I strongly endorse strength training for maximum fitness and long life, but if you never have pumped iron before, now is probably not the time to start. Wait until after you have some bling around your neck. If you already hang out at the gym, Tuesdays and Thursdays work well for strength training–after you finish your short runs on those days. Higdon has a time tested programs that could be "blended in" to SS if someone wanted to try out a hybrid.

starting strength coach development program
    Bikesandcars, if I may ask - how old are you, how much do you weight and what is your work set for deadlift and squat ? I'm not asking to be a jerk in any way. Just need to put things into perspective before I reply something that is worth your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12